Hidden mud trap

glospete

Reaction score
I'm sure like a lot of you I am fastidious about cleaning my car and not just the bodywork but under the wheel arches as well. Living in Devon (and up a lane) we have plenty of mud around!

Once I've finished my car I always feel proud that the wheel arches are really clean. But I've discovered a mud trap which is hidden unless you feel for it. I've marked it on the photo - if you feel up behind this rear valence panel you will discover a large amount of mud if you live in places such as I do. You can'
Mud
t feel it from the rear strangely enough. I was horrified how much mud I managed to hose out from this area. Anyway it's a new addition to my car cleaning regime!

Reactions: RedTurtle
Shouldn't that area be protected by the wheelarch lining? (Can't be ***** to go check right now :p)

I'd have thought so but it is open to whatever the wheels throw up!

I had a rattle from the exhaust for a few months, drove me mad. Took it to the dealer, technician ran his hand up behind the bumper, scooped out a couple of handfuls of gravel, pebbels and crap... Rattle gone!!

It definitely is a mud trap!

Reactions: The Challinor
Everyone is popping out and putting a hand under their car this morning!
Absolutely right, I found some muck under there when I looked. Will have to give a jetwash blast every time from now on. At least it's plastic down there, so not habouring damp to rot the body.

I find the body styling makes mud flick up way too easy, the drivers wheels flick mud up the side because the body goes in, and the rear bumper underneath gets tonnes of mud, or tar as I found out when I drove through freshly filled potholes last week. I used a whole 1L of tar remover to get rid -_-

P.S - you clean your wheel arches? You'd hate mine, I just power wash them but after that tar incident there's a whole road inside them haha

IMG 0084

Oh god, don't start that, yet another divisive topic, along with Wind Deflectors, mono.pur, S-tronic or Manual etc. ;)

Reactions: JohnM100, Blackwhite, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
I always give my arches a good spray with some g101 while I'm cleaning each wheel then get the pressure washer In and blast loose what I can. Awaiting my local detailers getting the EZ detail brushes back in stock as they have one for arches.

Oh god, don't start that, yet another divisive topic, along with Wind Deflectors, mono.pur, S-tronic or Manual etc. ;)

You forgot advanced key. :confused: :D

Reactions: cuke2u and veeeight

Forgot hold assist.....;)

Reactions: veeeight
Difficult to fit mudflaps to a s-line without modding them, however I don't think they should be with a bodykit anyway, it just seems so wrong..

They may be hideous to your eyes, but some people live down farm tracks, so sometimes function > form.

This is like Deja Vu.

Reactions: The Challinor
Would that actually stop the mud collecting up underneath the bumper though?

No I think these are front mudflaps. But even so the problem is not within the rear wheel arch but further back - it's not visible at all. You can only feel for it.

Reactions: glospete

Like that's ever bothered me! ;) Cheers for the link. I think I'll need to do a little more digging though and determine whether the cabrio is the same fitment as the 3 door or something different again.