Buying a s3 8p

Readiee1.8t

Reaction score
hi chaps,

I'm going to view a S3 07 plate. The car has 99,000 miles on and has full service history, no has just had a timing belt in the last 5,000 miles.
Just a brief thread to ask what I need to watch out for with these cars?

I've had a S3 8l 1.8t and I'm more than knowledgable on them. The 2.0tfsi engines are new to me so would be good to know any good/bad bits about them.

Thanks in advance.
Lee

Hi Lee,

Firstly,there are loads of threads in this forum on this topic,and if you search,you'll find them.

In short,as you'd expect,FSH is essential,and you need to ensure that the following have been serviced on time...

Cam belt
Water pump
Haldex oil service

Then regular oil changes(preferably not Audi's long service interval nonsense)

Coil packs and plugs fail and can cause misfires.

Look to see if there are any indications of the car having been mapped/tuned...
Aftermarket air intake
Brake and suspension upgrades
Revo/APR etc stickers...
Obvious remaps....

The above aren't neccessarily no-nos,but the car does need a full service history especially if thats been done to the engine.

Look for smoking from the turbo.

Aside from that lot the engine is pretty tough,and will last if you treat it right.....mine is around 500bhp,doesn't scoff oil,and is at 70 000 miles.

Reactions: Sandra
Hi Lee,

Firstly,there are loads of threads in this forum on this topic,and if you search,you'll find them.

In short,as you'd expect,FSH is essential,and you need to ensure that the following have been serviced on time...

Cam belt
Water pump
Haldex oil service

Then regular oil changes(preferably not Audi's long service interval nonsense)

Coil packs and plugs fail and can cause misfires.

Look to see if there are any indications of the car having been mapped/tuned...
Aftermarket air intake
Brake and suspension upgrades
Revo/APR etc stickers...
Obvious remaps....

The above aren't neccessarily no-nos,but the car does need a full service history especially if thats been done to the engine.

Look for smoking from the turbo.

Aside from that lot the engine is pretty tough,and will last if you treat it right.....mine is around 500bhp,doesn't scoff oil,and is at 70 000 miles.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your swift reply.

I do know the car has fsh but i shall check when i go to view.
I didnt ask about the haldex but again i shall also check this.
I know the car has a milltek exhaust and a stage 1 revo but i guess a spirited test drive will see how the car performs once driven and this will show any faults if there is any.

I have always wanted one and now im in the position to buy one i need to be sensible and not impulse buy.
Anyway i will have a good scope over it and shall report back and let you guys know if ive come home with it...
I think im going to view it sometime in the week.

Thanks again.
Lee

Reactions: S3Alex
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your swift reply.

I do know the car has fsh but i shall check when i go to view.
I didnt ask about the haldex but again i shall also check this.
I know the car has a milltek exhaust and a stage 1 revo but i guess a spirited test drive will see how the car performs once driven and this will show any faults if there is any.

I have always wanted one and now im in the position to buy one i need to be sensible and not impulse buy.
Anyway i will have a good scope over it and shall report back and let you guys know if ive come home with it...
I think im going to view it sometime in the week.

Thanks again.
Lee

Hi Lee,

That's very sensible.
They are really good cars,and have lots of potential,but it's worth making sure you get a good one.

It's clearly been mapped,but if it's been well looked after,it will be fine.

hi, just read this thread, I'm considering getting one. just the price of them!!
id probably prefer to get one standard (for more peace of mind about how its been treated) then have it mapped myself.

I think i'd sooner ho for a newer high miler than vice versa. (on the condition that its been serviced well and punctually)
any thoughts?

how do they age seeing as 07 plate isn't really young these days!

cheers!