What else to replace when replacing shocks?

Ah-tres

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am looking into refreshing the suspension of my 2009 A3 1.8t with 165k kms on the clock. I bought the car recently but I assume everything is stock. Time for an improvement I guess!.

I live in Mexico where the streets are not nearly as nice as in the UK (but they are decent enough) so I want something that is not super stiff. I also don´t need anything for high performance. I am interested in comfort and a decent level of sportiness, but have no plans for major upgrades or tuning.

I´ve almost made my mind on a set of Koni STR.T´s (US$330 for all four). I will go for these unless I hear any deal breakers from this group. I´ve heard good things about Bilsteins but they are probably outside of my budget.

The question is what else should I replace while I´m at it. I´m replacing the upper mounts and the control arm bushings, which seem to be cracked. Anything else worth replacing, such as stops, protection boots, nuts, etc? I´ve seen install kit packages like those in the link below, but I don´t know if they would be worth it.

http://www.urotuning.com/Suspension-Parts-s/1556.htm

I am assuming the coils should still be good. It is pretty arid down here and I don´t see any signs of corrosion. Also, I wasn´t thinking on lowering, partly due to the road conditions in Mexico, unless there is really a good reason to do it. Do coils go bad after this mileage?

Thanks in advance for your comments. Cheers