Insurance, Standard car?

Superdoug

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

We just took delivery of our new S3 last Friday. When i called up direct line, the guy in the call centre asked me if the car was modified from manufacturers standard specification at all. I said yes it has optional extras but all fitted at factory.

This more than doubled the cost of the insurance. How many people take the car, bog stock standard?

Is this right or have I been cheated.

Car is wonderful though...

i had the same situation when i had my X5. Admiral asked if it was modified from standard, informed them the extras that were put in the car from the factory and doubled the quote. I was the second owner on the car and said it wasn't fair to penalise me but i just got the tough crap comment back.

All insurance companies are starting to go down this route - easy money.

In a way there is no standard, I think they're really looking for non factory modifications.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and The Challinor
No thats wrong, modifications are things that are not within the recommendations of the dealer and manufactures such as re mapping, lowering. you don't need to identify them.

Play them at their own game.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I tend to agree with you all here. I am thinking about cancelling the policy and moving elsewhere. Do insurance companies not have a record of everything now though. Would they not all know that I have options? I am a bit miffed about the premium but i do want to be insured too. The cost of excess is also ridiculous.

I would have thought that the honest answer to the question you were asked 'is the car was modified from manufacturers standard specification at all' was no. Audi standard spec allows for a number of options to be selected - you just happen to have selected most! With every conceivable option added, the car is still meets Audi's specification in my book.

Reactions: Zache
Admiral had me disclose all "optional extras". They stated that they do not cover any after market modifications, can't say how true that is.

When I had my Renaultsport Megane and rang direct line. Initially had the same thing, as it had loads of options fitted. Spoke to a manager as I was not happy and they said it was only after market modifications. Anything factory fitted was treated as standard

I suspect it's a case of checking the small print on your policy.

Reactions: Superdoug
I am with Admiral (though a bit clenched after reading about @jaguar1187 traumas with a repairer).

I had this discussion with them on manufacturer factory fit options (as opposed to modifications) and gave them the full list. No change to premium. I disclosed all such that:

• If I had to make a claim then I could argue full disclosure had occurred already.
• Any (probably negligible) addition to a settlement value for options could be argued as 'you already knew that'
• as I had an exclusive colour I did not want them to argue any respray costs.

I also declare the full list price as the value of my car rather than discounted so I suppose that already includes the options.

I'm with Admiral. In answer to the question about modifications I explained about the factory fitted options and they were fine about it. I get the impression the question is aimed at non-Audi modifications such as re-mapping (as mentioned above), bodywork mods and alloys etc. In the past, however, I have found with insurers that it depends on which operative you deal with. Phone up 5 minutes later and the next will tell you something different.

Admiral here too. I also told them it had factory fitted options.

Having declared them all (and having to explain some of them :(), my policy now records the following:
  • Windows - Rear Darkened >30%
  • Parking Sensors
  • Respray (different colour) - i.e. Estoril paint
  • Exterior decorative changes - not sure what this covers, LED headlights perhaps?
  • Interior changes.
No idea how that affected the premium, as I didn't get a quote without them all declared.

Admiral here as well, just sent them an email asking for clarification. Would assume as above that factory fit isn't classed as modifications, but you never know.

Hi all,

We just took delivery of our new S3 last Friday. When i called up direct line, the guy in the call centre asked me if the car was modified from manufacturers standard specification at all. I said yes it has optional extras but all fitted at factory.

This more than doubled the cost of the insurance. How many people take the car, bog stock standard?

Factory fitted extras does not mean your car is modified.

Reactions: Superdoug and Jassyo06
Indeed it doesn't at all it is only if the specs are changed after the car has left the factory thus if a dealership fitted different wheels even though they might be the same as the ones fitted at the factory it is a modification. Does anyone here declare their winter wheels and tyres? But either some insurance companies are trying it on or they see certain people coming.

Admiral here too. I also told them it had factory fitted options.
my policy now records the following:
  • Exterior decorative changes - not sure what this covers, LED headlights perhaps?

That will probably be the S-Line/S3 bodykit

They list my adaptive Xenons as front rally lights - seriously! I did query it and they said it was the nearest they had in the drop down box. I could get myself some Hellas with impunity.....

Winter tyres - only some insurers want to be informed:

https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/File...nter tyres The motor insurance commitment.pdf

If the direct link doesn't work you can find it on this page:

https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savings/Products/Motor-insurance/Winter-tyres

John.

Last edited:
Insurance companies have different definitions of what constitutes a Modification. For example, Aviva do not require you to disclose Factory Fitted Options, however, Churchill do require disclosure. If in doubt, ask them.

The reasoning behind disclosing Factory Fitted Options, so I was told, is that it makes the car more desirable to thieving scum, therefore a higher premium needs to be applied.

Always, always disclose. Don't give your insurance company a reason to turn down a £30k claim if your car is stolen or written off. They can tell which Options, if any, came from the factory.

I told my insurer (LV) but they didn't want to know about factory fitted options - only after-market add-ons. I also told them when I fitted my winter wheels - they noted it and that was that.

Admiral here aswell, they specifically state they want to know about modifications which isn't standard including optional extras, so declared:

Dashboard Camera (Accessory),
Interior changes,
Parking Sensors,
Satellite Navigation System,
Windows - Rear Darkened > 30%,

I'm assuming Interior Changes covers things like comfort pack, I have other stuff but it doesn't give you a tick option on their webpage.

I have ALWAYS thought this means modifications AFTER the car has been bought, i have even had an accident in my car i currently own (A1) and the claim went through fine even though it was an S line with many extras, so that has kind of validated my belief too.

Different insurance companies have different policies about modifications, as noted above

LV = Doesn't need to know about factory fitted options
Admiral/Elephant = Needs to know about factory fitted options

Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance f you like if you are considering moving insurers.
Regards,
Dan.

Shhh there watching!!

in all my years i have never been asked about optional extras other than additional the alarm system. there is no reason why an insurance company would want or need to know this you already tell them the book value of the car and thats all that is important. it is even irrelevant what type of car it is at the end of the day.

unless your dropping a huge turbo v8 in there and taking it track racing is should be none of there business as it just seems like another way to rip you off.

Hell if any insurance company started asking me about my 'optional extra's' they'd get a slap. Seriously though, is this just yet another case of 'rip off Britain', because I would very quickly boot mine into touch if they wanted extra money for something my car was built with.

It just means alterations that were not made at the factory. If you bought a new car from Audi off their forecourt, how would you know what was base equipment and what was specced by the dealer. You wouldn't know........

Last edited:
Admiral clearly states that optional extras fitted at manufacturing are classed as modifications.

A woman I work with had her year old Mini Cooper s stollen and whilst processing her claim with Zurich they realised she had heated leather seats, better speakers and sat nav fitted at factory. However she didn't declare these when getting insured. Zurich didn't pay out and said that the car was more desirable with these options fitted .

20 odd grand down the toilet because she didn't claim her optional extras

When I was with admiral. Yes you had to list optional extras. As if you did not and the car was written off or stolen for example. They would not cover the cost of the factory fitted options. They also tried to charge me extra one year when I fitted winter wheels which were genuine audi wheels and there approved Dunlop winter tyres. This was swapping from 18" rotors to 16" 5 spoke wheels. A quick chat with the operators supervisor, who still classified this as a "modification" said he would waver the admin charge!! and also the extra premium for goodwill. Needless to say the year after I never renewed with them after 7yrs.

Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance f you like if you are considering moving insurers.
Regards,
Dan.
Hi Dan,

I sent Adrian Flux an email through the contact us section regarding this. So far I have not had a response.

Being a professional though, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Just had this back from Admiral, so will call tonight.

Dear Andy

Thank you for contacting us about your policy, registration xxxxxxxx.

Please confirm the optional extras fitted to the vehicle so we can update
our records accordingly.

Please note modifications are not covered under the policy, unless they are
optional extras from the vehicle manufacturer and you have told us about them.

So it'll be interesting to see if they try to charge any more, as it was valued with the options.

The issue with factory-fit options is that they can change the "nature" of the car, which can have a bearing on your premium.

Insurance is all about statistics. How often do you hear someone asking why declaring a non-fault claim raises their insurance as it wasn't their fault? Because you're now deemed statistically more likely to have another accident in the future.

In the same way, something as innocuous as privacy glass may flag you up on their systems as statistically more likely to be a bit of a chav who likes hooning around trying to look cool all the time and thus more likely to bin it.

Basically insurance isn't really based on you but rather the demographic you fit into statistically, which is determined by all manner of factors.

So how come none of the price comparison websites ask you to select all the optional extras? Surely thousands of people are acquiring insurance through these websites without declaring the factory fitted options, therefore being invalid. Never once have I been asked to declare the optional extras when calling too, even though I'm asked to declare other things.

You are asked the value of the car, so surely this is enough to cover any options fitted? When I switched to Churchill they accidentally valued my car at £0 which I only found out once receiving the policy documents. When I informed them and switched it the correct value the premium did not increase, I was informed that is usually doesn't increase unless the car is worth over a certain value - I think they said £79K.

I informed them about the aluminium pedals as I fitted them myself after purchase, but they didn't seem to care and it didn't increase my premium.

Hi Dan,

I sent Adrian Flux an email through the contact us section regarding this. So far I have not had a response.

Being a professional though, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Hi,

If you can PM me the details I can take a look into this.

Kind regards
Dan

So how come none of the price comparison websites ask you to select all the optional extras? Surely thousands of people are acquiring insurance through these websites without declaring the factory fitted options, therefore being invalid. Never once have I been asked to declare the optional extras when calling too, even though I'm asked to declare other things.

You are asked the value of the car, so surely this is enough to cover any options fitted? When I switched to Churchill they accidentally valued my car at £0 which I only found out once receiving the policy documents. When I informed them and switched it the correct value the premium did not increase, I was informed that is usually doesn't increase unless the car is worth over a certain value - I think they said £79K.

I informed them about the aluminium pedals as I fitted them myself after purchase, but they didn't seem to care and it didn't increase my premium.

they do..

go compare says...

Has the car been modified, adapted and/or fitted with any optional extras such as changes to the bodywork, engine, wheels or audio system?

When i spoke to them they said optional extras are options that have been paid for at the manufacturing stage.

When you tick yes, it then asks for the options etc...

and also i think confused.com ask too if i remember correctly

and as i went into detail yesterday Zurich refused to pay out for a woman at my works stolen car as she didn't tell them that she had a satnav, upgraded stereo and heated leather seats.

its worth a check with your insurers guys!

Like I said before, different insurers have different policy's about factory fitted modifications.

Hi all,

Utter nonsense! If it's a factory fitted option, the car is still within the standard manufacturers specification. End of conversation.

I had this crap when I had to claim for a minor shunt to my TTS. I was going through the details of the car with the claims department (Direct Line I might add) and straight away they were telling me that my 19" wheels were 'non standard', as was the sat nav; they told me that because I had not declared them, my insurance was potentially invalid. What a load of cobblers, the 19" wheels were of course factory fitted options as is the sat nav /BOSE, which the person in their claims department just couldn't grasp ... computer says no mentality - typical of many call centres these days. ****** hell did I have a job on my hands sorting that one out. They were trying to get to pay an extra £150 before they'd push the claim through. I ended up speaking to one of their appointed engineers who instantly sorted it out. Direct Line are one of the most inept insurance companies I have ever come across ...

Last edited:
they do..

go compare says...

Has the car been modified, adapted and/or fitted with any optional extras such as changes to the bodywork, engine, wheels or audio system?

When i spoke to them they said optional extras are options that have been paid for at the manufacturing stage.

When you tick yes, it then asks for the options etc...

and also i think confused.com ask too if i remember correctly

For the question "Has your car been modified in any way?" Compare the Market states:

"A vehicle is considered modified if it has been changed in any way since it was first supplied by the vehicle manufacturer.

This would include: Changes to the body work, changes to the suspension or brakes, cosmetic changes, changes to the engine management system or exhaust system, changes to the audio/entertainment system."

So the answer is no then, my car is as was supplied by the vehicle manufacturer. Are people reading something into nothing?

If the insurer state PLUS any additional factory fitted optional extras. They are doing that for a reason. If you dont list them and something happens its your fault in my opinion. As you have knowingly lied on your insurance application. If it were a black edition and the rotors, bose, tints ect. are as part of that spec. That is a different story. As that includes no options.