Audi or VW ??

bad-vw-boy

Reaction score
Morning all

I have been a VW nut for many years and owned a host of vw's and audi's, and now i am on my hunt for my next purchase. I need advice on weather or not to get a R32 mk5 or a Audi b7 cabrio. i would love to hear peoples opinions. I am moving to Bournemouth hence the cabrio and thought a bit of roof down woulf be nice , but audi's have never been kind to me , and vw's have been much better. the r32 is a car i have longed for i love the burble of the engine, but the mpg is a sticking point i will be doing a lot of up to 8 mile trips start stop. opinions please....
I have been told to look at BMW's convertibles, but know nothing about them, aparently they are better than the Audi cabrio?.

Ok the r32 is a nice car but if you want a nice convertible the a4 is well put together and with roof up still feels like a coupe as roof is well made and quiet. If you buy an a4 cab I suggest a 3.0tdi or s4 as a 4 pot will not sound as nice after owning an r32. The 3.0tdi still sounds nice as its a v6. I have had an M3 convertible and drove my sons M3 e46 convertible back to back after driving mine and the M3 is a very firm ride. I think the e46 non M3 is looking a bit dated. I have had TVR's scoobies M3's and all sorts but enjoy the a4 in Quattro form with paddle shift and plenty of torque. Next progression is an a5 cab. So I don't think you will be disappointed. The 2.0 tdi cabs have become affordable and do good mpg, worth a look. Let us know how you get on and if you are in London you are welcome to try mine out.

Reactions: bad-vw-boy
i really appreciate your reply, it seems that a lot of people read posts but are to afraid to share their views and opinions, not sure if i want a diesel as i have had a few , but i miss the noise and response of a petrol

are there any things i should look out for. I had an S4 and in the first year i ended up coughing up 3k in bills

You've asked a difficult question as the A4 Cabrio and Golf R32 are quite different propositions, the A4 cab will never have the immeadiacy, tautness and the focused driving experience that a R32 will provide by nature of the body design, even though the A4 is far from bad in the scuttle shakes, rattles and twists dept as some others are, chassis ridgidity isnt its strong point in comparison. So if hustling down the twisty B roads and the occasional track day is your thing, then put your money with the Golf, if cruising around, top down, to a country pub for lunch on a sunday is preferable then, well choose the Cab.

On the fuel economy, nothing is really going to be any good in start stop traffic, well perhaps with the exception of a milk float, but I noted that wasn't on your list ;). A quick bit of maths, working out relevant costs would point as to whether the (un) economies are acceptable.

If I were to provide one snippet of advice regarding the cabs, A4 or otherwise, don't buy one with an inoperative top, if the seller says " I had someone look at it, they said it just needed a £15 part " Just ask why wouldnt they just get the bit and have it sorted rather than risk turning of an interested buyer ?? I'm not saying that there aren't simple to fix faults, its just that it can be the other way too.

Have fun choosing, go test drive some of your options and see how they feel to you.

...................Or you could always buy both :devilish:

Gary

Love the mk 5 R32 but the tax is £500!!! A'int nobody got time for that!!!o_O

"if cruising around, top down, to a country pub for lunch on a sunday is preferable then, well choose the Cab."

Got to agree with the above comment. The sun came out this morning and have already been out in our B7 Cab with the roof down. I know it's only March.....but it just had to be done. Am already based in the area you're heading to and can definately advise you to go for the Cabriolet.

Given your stop-start commute though, I'd opt for a petrol model. Oh, and buy a hat for when the sun comes out.

Nuff said.

I love the audi cab but the R32 is something special I can see your dilemma but the only advice I could give is ho for what feels right that's how I've bought most of my cars