remanufactured steering rack problem, need help from you guys.

jay84

Reaction score
have got steering rack replaced yesterday, old unit has rust inside, it was a bit noisy but not leaking. problem is that after it took second 1litre bootle of steering fliud it got suspicious, in the end i spotted than fluid is slowly dripping on floor, after more inspection i found that all hydraulic fluid is trapped in new steering rack's both rubber booth where inner tie rod ends is located. rubber boots are expanded and are hard on touch, photos attached. please post any ideas. i have worked on it together with mechanic, it took around 8hr just because a lot of screws and bolts were seized, but job were done clean. thanks

Attachments

• CAM00219.jpg
    CAM00219.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 197
where did you get the rack from ?

give them a call in the morning and ship it back to them

problem is that car few miles away from workshop. will take ages to take it out. do you think that steering rack is faulty?

for replacing job i payed more than for steering rack. £175 for rack and £300 2xbottles of fluid £14 each. is that to be mentioned to remanufacturer? hope steering pump is alive, but there is possibility that it damaged due faulty rack???

they wont pay for the fitting and fluids
only swap the rack out

i must speak with solicitor first to find this. beacause of faulty rack supplied, i will have massive finace problems on refitting and getting to workplace :(

mine was simular 10 month old. replaced it this week. different problem. the bottom plug with the 4 punch locking tabs' was loose and leaking through the seal. there wasnt even a quality inspection mark on it either un like the new replcaement they sent. looked like a way better quality rack too. good job i can do the labour myself but i still told them it was for a customer and not myself and the labour costs aswell as tracking costs. unfortunatly thats just the way it goes. least you get another rack. always the risk on a refurbed one

When i had my garages we did a few jobs like this with **** poor parts supplied, if we ever had to refit a bad part i always charged the supplier labour costs and they always paid.
Threaten them with small claims court and tell them you have a friend in one of the large papers who wants to do an article on the mountain of complaints they get about the recent rise in sub standard parts and the fact that suppliers shy away from coughing up!

May gee them up a bit.

Thank to all for replyes. i phoned consumer help line this morning to get some advice. then phoned autosteer direct ltd, they sayd that steering rack is tested with higher pressure that is in the car after assembly, they will send me anther one, and they will examine faulty one upon receive. if they find that fault in it they will look in to case and possible compensation. at this point i am satisfied how customer service handeled my phone call and actions taken. now it may take a week or two until final verdict. if anyone is interested in outcome i can post it here later. cheers :very drunk:

Take the rack somewhere else to be checked first, if you send it back they will say its ok and no compensation.

Where ever you take it make sure they give you a full report, then send it back.

If your in the AA or RAC contact them ,failing that use a qualified motor engineer NOT mechanic they will charge but shop around.