Solar Eclipse

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Not sure if many of you are aware of this or not, but on Friday the 20th of March there will be a Solar Eclipse.

More details here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...it-and-how-to-get-the-best-view-10110446.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...omical-event-be-ruined-by-cloudy-weather.html

Quick overview is that its going to happen on Friday morning, so we will have sunrise for a couple of hours, then darkness for a while, then back to normal.

Its meant to be quite a big one and im sure many of you will remember the last one in 1999 (yes it was that long ago!!)

Next one isnt till the year 2026!!

@Ghost

If any of you get any pics, please post them up as it will be great to see them.

Thanks
Nilz

Reactions: DieselJake, Arrkon and Jake 61
Hi @Nilz :icon thumright:

It will only be a partial solar eclipse here in the UK, but the more north you are the better.
Still will worth a look if the weather is good
:moon:

Reactions: Sandra, Nilz and Jake 61
I'm up North of Inverness and the camera goes everywhere with me, (including work).
We can only see how it goes.
;)

Reactions: Sandra and Nilz
Hi both, I did read it is a partial one and I dont know how much of it we will get to see in Birmingham, however there were reports that we would get about 84% darkness but im not too sure that will be the case here.

Lets wait and see what happens.

Just checked the weather forecast by us for Friday morning, Thick cloud from 09:00 till 12:00 .
Oh well , hopefully this will change, usually they can't forecast the weather accurately for tomorrow never mind 4 days ahead.

Reactions: Sandra
“Stargazing live” starts back on BBC 2 at 8pm on Wednesday
Says they be looking ahead to Friday’s eclipse. :icon thumright:

Reactions: Sandra, Nilz and Jake 61
There is a very good chance of seeing some Northern Lights tonight, maybe as far south as Manchester

Let’s hope for a clear sky!

@desertstorm @Nilz @Jake 61

Reactions: Nilz, Jake 61 and Sandra
Foggy as this morning (Hagley Road, Birmingham) hoping it'll be clear Friday as I'm really looking forward to it.

There is a very good chance of seeing some Northern Lights tonight, maybe as far south as Manchester

Let’s hope for a clear sky!

@desertstorm @Nilz @Jake 61

Just back in from a trip to the darker West but, no joy @Ghost, @Nilz, @desertstorm. Bit of high cloud killed it.
There are some amazing shots on FB from Harris and Thurso, where they got some really clear skies.
I don't know if you have been on this site but the forecast for tonight was the reddest I have ever seen it...!

http://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/auroral-activity/auroral-oval

:icon thumright:

Reactions: Nilz
Morning all, did anyone see anything last night??

It was very foggy in Brum last night and this morning too, I did pop out to see if I could catch anything on the off chance, but no such luck :(

I have seen some pics on the net this morning and they are just mindblowing!!

Reactions: Sandra and Jake 61
Yes forecast is looking good for tomorrow, just light cloud. It was exceptionally foggy the other night I did have a wander around the building where I work in Walsall to see if I could see anything, Just too much light pollution anyway.

Karl.

Yes it does look good for tomorrow, lets hope its a good one, looking forward to it and there is a fair bit of excitement in a few of the departments about it too :)

Just back in from a trip to the darker West but, no joy @Ghost, @Nilz, @desertstorm. Bit of high cloud killed it.
There are some amazing shots on FB from Harris and Thurso, where they got some really clear skies.
I don't know if you have been on this site but the forecast for tonight was the reddest I have ever seen it...!

http://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/auroral-activity/auroral-oval

:icon thumright:

Hi @Jake 61 , I was thinking if anyone had a chance of seeing them, it be your good self.
Have you ever seen them?

I be out and watching tomorrow, I seen the total eclipse in 1999 can't believe it was that long ago!

Remember to use approved eclipse glasses/ filters when looking at the eclipse tomorrow, or risk eye damage

Hi @Jake 61 , I was thinking if anyone had a chance of seeing them, it be your good self.
Have you ever seen them?

I have @Ghost, if you get a good night, it can be really spectacular and I can only describe it as being like luminous curtains billowing in the darkness.
I have some pics on Flickr, nothing too spectacular but I was pleased at the time.
I'll dig them out later on. Got to nip out just now.
;)

Reactions: Ghost
I'm hoping to get out with the camera tomorrow. Missed the northern light last night and the night before due to working late.

Any photo tips @Phil-1 :)
I will take my camera, but I don't have high hopes
:)

What ever you do don't point your camera at the sun and look through the view finder. At best you will get sore eyes at worst you can harm your eyesight permanently.

What I'm going to do is stack my ND filters and using a small aperture.

For anyone going out to point a camera at the eclipse tomorrow, as a safety advisor by day, I would have to give one or two pointers.
What you really need to get, is a welding filter at shade 10 or 11. This will give you a good image of the eclipse but, will be very dark and vey green when processed.
There are ways using Photoshop, to alter the tones, hues and brightness to make a decent image.
I will be using a welding filter, as I'm employed by an engineering company, so they're easy to get for me.

Just be careful, don't look directly at the sun and don't look at it through a viewfinder either. You risk radiation burns to your eyes, similar to "arc eye", a condition suffered by a lot of people who work beside welders. It's not pleasant, I have suffered this before and it's like having grit in your eyes for a good 24 hours.

Good Luck.... :icon thumright:

By the way, last night's attempt at some aurora shots was a wash out. Lovely clear skies, just no aurora.

I have some good pics, just got a few bits to do and will put them up shortly....used a welders goggle in front of the lens.

P1050127_zpssthw5orp.jpg

P1050099_zpswuxqmnyh.jpg
P1050094_zpsqcgoiwtt.jpg

@Ghost
@DieselJake
@Jake 61
@desertstorm

Even managed to get my pics on the local newspaper site too :)

Reactions: voorhees, Jake 61, Snake Pliskin and 4 others
Stunning photos Nilz :applaus::applaus::applaus::applaus:
Really like pic 3. :icon thumright:

Reactions: Jake 61, Sandra and Nilz
@Nilz awesome pics thanks for sharing:) x

@Nilz great pictures is the 3rd one processed to get rid of the green from the welding glass?
Not as dark as I thought it would go,
Karl.

@desertstorm - Hi Karl, no not processed at all, it was literally the first pic i took with my camera, so that was a natural shot without any filters or anything, it was only afterwards as I was unable to get focus that I tried with the welding glasses that I got the 'green' shots.

Agreed about the darkness, it didnt go as dark as expected, however it got pretty nippy quite quickly!!

Reactions: Jake 61
Dusk like pretty much the same as before iirc, did go really chilly

Better than what I got
I see your into heavy haulage from your Flickr page

All I could do was nip out when there was a break in your he cloud, Phil. I just set the camera up on the tripod with a 50mm lens and took some shots when the cloud broke.
Yes, I do a fair bit of heavy haulage photography through my work. I've done photos for a few hauliers.

Just looks like a crescent moon lol

It does, apart from the near dusk light, I didn't find it all that spectacular.

Reactions: Phil-1