DPF removal question.

Cyrix

Reaction score
Mine failed a few weeks ago, due to the ridiculous cost of a replacement unit I removed the internals (can be done on the A4 without cutting it open through the DPF outlet port)

I then had it mapped by a local tuning company, removing the DPF and EGR functions. I'm happy with the power, smoke is very minimal also. My only gripe is the smell, it seems quite strong especially at standstill in traffic.

Is this normal or something or something that could probably be tweaked in the map to improve? I can't remember any other mapped diesels I have owned smelling this bad, but I have always left the Cat in the system.

The CAT and the DPF are not necessarily a joint unit depending on what exhaust system you have. My 3.0tdi had two CATs, one in the engine bay and one just before the DPF.

I've never heard of a 'DPF outlet port' before and everyone I know who has had this done has had their DPF cut open, innards bashed out and welded up again. It is supposed to be a sealed unit and not easily gutted therefore this seems normal.

Where did you take it to have the work done? Do they get good reviews? There are some cowboys out there...

If you have a dpf you shouldn't have a CAT. Once the dpf is removed its straight pipe all the way back to the back boxes.
I've had mine removed and mapped but theres no smell. There was a diesel smell in the cab but that was due to egr cooler leaking so blanked it off.

All modern cars have CATs whether you have a DPF or not, by law. They perform different functions and the 'need' for a CAT isn't eliminated by having a DPF

When people ask me for a DPF removal I only remove the DPF and leave the cat side' I would also ask the question would you like the cat removing too, no company should remove the cat automatically when doing a DPF delete' it's just wrong and not what the customer asked for