Head removal

ryan mc

Reaction score
can anyone help me out im removing the head on my amk to replace rods im wondering if there is any how tos or has anyone got a link for a workshop manual , iv ordered elsawin but needty get started tonight mainly I just need to know how to remove turbo and down pipe
thanks for any help
ryan

Head comes off surprisingly easily, specially if you cut the belt and save timing for another day... Don't need to remove DP or turbo, just undo the three bolts that go through the top of the manifold into the turbo and remove the head and manifold as one...

Thanks a lot mate sounds easier than I thought so just leave the turbo in place then , are the mani bolts easy to get from the top ? Also where will I get all the torque settings for rods etc will all this be on elsawin cheers

With the cam cover off all the main bolts are fairly accessible, not sure what your tool kit is like but you're likely to need a spline or ribe bit and maybe a magnet...

All torque settings will be on elsawin, they'r also on this forum somewhere (Can find the link for you when I get home). Depends what rods your going for though, if you're going after market/forged they're likely to come with APR bolts which have they're own torque procedure

if fitting aftermarket rods you do NOT want to use OE torque figures for the ARP bolts... same for ARP head bolts/studs if you use them...

<tuffty/>

Got it done not a problem had the head off and Pistons and rods out in an under 2 hours , very easy to work on
I'm ordering some ie rods with rifle drilling tomorrow
And going to do dp and cat while I'm there do any of you think I should upgrade the manifold aswell ?

Cheers