B5.5 suspension swap onto B6?

jimbob79

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I got a 2001 1.8t passat wagon with coilovers and a 53 plate 190 sport Avant. I Know the b5.5 platform shares a lot with the b6 but does anyone know if the coilovers will fit straight onto my Avant?
Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers :)

Take them both off and lay them side by side and check

Haha,, yeah it's the obvious thing to do however I'd rather not just in case they r different, besides both cars r in use and r very rarely in the same place at one time..

Search for the coilovers for the passat on demon tweeks etc and note down the product number, and then search for them for the audi and check the numbers match.

Cheers s4-dan, yeah I thought of that earlier, different codes.. No swap.. Ah well, looks like I'll be forking out for new suspension..

The suspension set-up is very similar, however front shocks fork where it fits the lower wishbone is narrower on the a4 b6, the passat uses the a6 set-up so If you want to swap over you will need the lower susp. arms swapped too. Also note some passats have cast steel uprights, a4 uses alloy.

The balljoints are different on the lower arms between the cars. All in all is a puzzle which can be sorted out by buying the a6 c5 arms IF you wish- this came too with cast iron uprights on early models and alloy on 2001- on cars however the brake calipers carriers are different (same position and size but wider bolt spacing)

Rear shocks are meatier on the b6 and the top mount looks fairly close, i have a few sets at the garage and i could look closely but i am very busy and my memory is short...

Thanks Adam, that's certainly given me something to think about. For the hassle of the extra parts I'd need I guess it'll prob be easier to just buy new coilovers :)
Or go down the lowering spring route and keep the standard shocks?

For the hassle of the extra parts I'd need I guess it'll prob be easier to just buy new coilovers :)
Or go down the lowering spring route and keep the standard shocks?

I went down this route. Eibach Prokit springs with oem sport shocks. Nice ride height and much firmer over the standard SE suspension I had.

You may want the B5 perches to fit though as this helps lower the front another 10-15mm making the car look level.

Yeah I've considered it, I have the perches off the old passat struts which I'm led to believe will do the same trick? Have noticed a lot of folk using the H&R springs.
I had the pro kit on my passat, did very little to the ride height which I was massively disappointed with. I've had coilovers on most of my cars.

If you buy fk coilovers remember to
Prime the struts before fitting 3 or 4 pushs right down to the bottom will do .. This way after a few months they shouldn't bang .. A lot of people forget to do this to them and wonder why they start to bang .. Got something to do with the oil inside the strut pushing on it a few times helps get rid of the air inside as the strut has been on its side for a wail

Handy tip, cheers Gordy, they're fk's on the passat, brought them second hand and they're still performing great after a years worth of use. I'll be sure to give new ones a push before installing if I go down that route.. :)