Looking for softer suspension for S-Line A3

paul212

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on softer suspension.
My A3 1.8T S-line (18" alloys) is fine on the open road, but on a day to day basis it's doing my head in.
I've heard about a couple of kits (Bilstein B8/12), but I'd like to keep the budget to a reasonable level. Also worried incase I made the investment and it didn't make the difference I hoped.
Tyre noise is also an issue but not sure if suspension would help with this?
Anyone made a change which has really worked for them?
Any recommendations?

Cheers

The Bilstein B8 will make your ride stiffer not softer.

The standard S-Line spring isn't too bad, it's the damper which isn't very good. Have a look at the Bilstein B6 or Koni FSD dampers. The Koni FSD are more expensive but it is a really good setup both with OEM springs or a mild lowering spring from Eibach or H&R. Either way @DPM can help here.

As @fangio said, I would try the car with smaller wheels and therefore chunkier tyres. Maybe try 17 inch wheels with 225/45/17 before you jump straight to 16 in wheels.

Also what air pressure are you running?

Reactions: DPM and curlo
Expensive suspension changes or 16/17" wheels or let 3 or 4 llbs. out of the tyres. Not much else you can do.

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on softer suspension.
My A3 1.8T S-line (18" alloys) is fine on the open road, but on a day to day basis it's doing my head in.
I've heard about a couple of kits (Bilstein B8/12), but I'd like to keep the budget to a reasonable level. Also worried incase I made the investment and it didn't make the difference I hoped.
Tyre noise is also an issue but not sure if suspension would help with this?
Anyone made a change which has really worked for them?
Any recommendations?

Cheers

Yeah you're not the only one, my one is the same, odd bumps and shapes in the road are a recipe for a jarring ride in the S-line A3s. I thought it would be the wishbone bushes, which are slightly worn, but I know it must be more to do with the damping. The sidewalls are small (40 profile) so this just adds to it. I would like to know what you end up doing. I'm just living with it! Was amazed at how well our y-reg fiesta handled the same roads I cover (never known comfort like it, albeit with a bit more roll haha - 55 profile tyres and softer suspension!)