To de cat or not to de cat

S3 AEX

Reaction score
What's best sports cat or de cat, I need a new cat so I'm swaying towards DP and de cat MOT not a problem just wanted to gage people's opinions on what they think is best?!

Thanks

I could be wrong . But depends how far you plan on going . I've been told that over 400 bhp you should go for De cat as a cat can be restrictive

I don't think it's any sort of issue until you're into BT territory.
Below that the gains are going to be smaller and in either case mostly at peak rpm/power.

I made 360bhp with sports cat full milltek system

Cheers guys I only plan on going stg1 at most so think de cat it is..

Cheers guys I only plan on going stg1 at most so think de cat it is..

Please don't think I'm being negative about this(but I suppose I am!) but I really don't think a decat is worth the MOT issues etc etc at Stg1,for what is at best going to be a very small gain in top end bhp,over a sports cat.

Reactions: Dean_T and Alex_Wil
Please don't think I'm being negative about this(but I suppose I am!) but I really don't think a decat is worth the MOT issues etc etc at Stg1,for what is at best going to be a very small gain in top end bhp,over a sports cat.
I totally understand what your saying Alex but I just can't justify paying an extra £200 for a sports cat as it won't be an issue getting the car through the MOT. If it did become an issue then obviously I would have to swap to a SP cat, + the £200 i'll be saving will go towards a remap and my tyres.

Speaking of tyres what are people's opinions of the Goodyear efficient performance grip? Think that's what there called.

I totally understand what your saying Alex but I just can't justify paying an extra £200 for a sports cat as it won't be an issue getting the car through the MOT. If it did become an issue then obviously I would have to swap to a SP cat, + the £200 i'll be saving will go towards a remap and my tyres.

Speaking of tyres what are people's opinions of the Goodyear efficient performance grip? Think that's what there called.

OK,I see where you're coming from...cost as opposed to what it may or may not gain...fair enough....makes sense.

Reactions: S3 AEX
What's best sports cat or de cat, I need a new cat so I'm swaying towards DP and de cat MOT not a problem just wanted to gage people's opinions on what they think is best?!

Thanks

De-cat it!!! Then when it comes to MOT, have a chat with the inspector and ask him whether he's going to pass it or not without the cat, if he says no way, then find someone who will!! may take a tip of £20 or so lol:beaten:... obviously get them to do a proper MOT check for everything else so you know what needs replacing etc. but just for the cat, you may have to bend the rules ;)

Reactions: S3 AEX
De-cat it!!! Then when it comes to MOT, have a chat with the inspector and ask him whether he's going to pass it or not without the cat, if he says no way, then find someone who will!! may take a tip of £20 or so lol:beaten:... obviously get them to do a proper MOT check for everything else so you know what needs replacing etc. but just for the cat, you may have to bend the rules ;)
That's what I'm doing m8 just ordered the pipe werx DP and de cat, ye the car will get a proper MOT but they may be a car parked next to it in the bay when the emissions test is done