DSG reliability

Statiker

Reaction score
Thinking about going to the DSG auto transmission for my next A3 but still have concerns about reliability. There still seem to be issues with this transmission which VAG have not fully sorted. What experience have others had? It is likely to be a 1.6 TDI again so I think that is a seven speed box.

The 6 speed DSG is pretty well proven now other than the odd Mechatronics issue, I've done 46k in my current car and no problems at all. Not sure about the DSG7 though. I think a lot of recent issues were related to having the wrong oil put in at factory and there has been a recall for that.

Yeah, sure i read somewhere about the 7 speed issues being pretty much resolved with a move (away from?) synthetic oil. Not heard too many complains whilst trawling in fairness!

I have so far had five A3s with the 6 speed s-tronic/DSG and done a total of 145k miles with them and not had any problems at all.

Have owned both boxe - wet clutch 6 speed and dry clutch 7 speed.

No issues with either reliability wise. Both boxes are widely used and I have yet to see a torrent of owners moaning about its reliability on forums.

I wouldn't worry about it :)

As a result of what I've read here about DSG, I'd be very tempted to spec it on my next Audi. However, I have a phobia of anything hideously complicated on the grounds of the cost implications of breakdowns and would instinctively stick with manual. My solution would be to extend the warranty to 4 years as I change my car at 4 yearly intervals and that way any problem with the DSG should be rectified without additional cost. I am encouraged by Dave R's positive experience - 145,000 miles is a fair test!

As a result of what I've read here about DSG, I'd be very tempted to spec it on my next Audi. However, I have a phobia of anything hideously complicated on the grounds of the cost implications of breakdowns and would instinctively stick with manual. My solution would be to extend the warranty to 4 years as I change my car at 4 yearly intervals and that way any problem with the DSG should be rectified without additional cost. I am encouraged by Dave R's positive experience - 145,000 miles is a fair test!

I am taking a 4 year PCP and hoping I can keep mine at least 3 years although i'm so bad at changing before then. 4 year deal means no pressure to change if I don't have to and the minimal cost of £245 to extend the warranty into the final year means all covered and helps residual value as is transferable :)

...but I think that is total mileage across 6 cars in aggregate.
Yes that's right. The most on a individual car was 38,260 miles but this particular car is now owned by the manager of a local tyre depot and as far as I know he has not had any problems. I sold the car in March 2012.

I prefer me a stick shifter but I wouldn't have any worries buying one.