water behind drivers seat

Nick_C

Reaction score
Today after some heavy rain I have noticed the carpet and matt are soaking. No water in the front or passenger side rear and all the rubber seals look fine. The rear wiper is working fine. Anyone else had this issue know what it's likely to be? The cars a 2010 sportback.

Thanks,

Nick.

Could the door or window have been just slightly open not enough that you'd notice but enough to let water in?

Check the drain holes in drivers side rear door. You can test by opening the door and then hosing the outside down the window. Water should run through the door and out of the holes in the bottom. If they are blocked you might actually hear water sloshing around when you open the door as well.

Reactions: Sayam and Nick_C
Pretty sure the windows were all up but I'll check tomorrow and check the drain holes. Are they easy enough to unblock with the door open from underneath?

This is where the water seems to be coming in. Does it look to be the seal? Although the seal look to be in good condition. I don't know what's going on.

Looking t that picture it looks like it's coming from inside the door and leaking through behind the door trim.
Either drain holes blocked or the speaker isn't sealed to the door.
Something's letting the water through.
What's years the car? Has it alway been dry previously?

Last edited:
Checked drain holes from underneath but don't seem to be blocked. Haven't got the tools to get the door card off. It's a 2010, not sure how long it's been wet for. Only had the car 2 months but never noticed it before when I've hovered it out.

No it's one female owner from London I believe.

Just checking as I traded mine in 2 months ago.
Rear trims easy to remove check the rear speaker is sealed to the door as if not in heavy rain the door can't drain fast enough and it runs in the bottom of the speaker.

Can't find a how to anywhere for the rear door trim removal. I don't want to break anything in the process. Is there any particular sealant best to use or just regular silicone?

On the rear door there's not much holds the panel on
Couple of screws on the bottom then the surround around the window switch and a trim in front of the door handle.
Not sure what sealant on earlier cars you used to use butyl tap which is like cold tar that squashes out when compressed. Cheap and easy to use

Thanks a lot mate. Really want to save on going to the stealers. Will give it a go tomorrow if the weather's nice.

You might be lucky enough to see a water stain under the speaker which tells you it's that.

Fixed it this lunch time in the sun :-D Took my time and it took about 1 1/2. I didn't remove the foam gasket just sealed over it using gasket seal. Hopefully it works, if not I'll just do it again but remove the foam gasket as well. Definitely coming from the bottom of the speaker as there was water stain and the gasket was wet. I'm thinking of doing a how to if anyone else is interested. I took pictures along the way.

Cheers mate thanks for the help.