S3 stealth

A fella at my work owns an S-line A4 and I had to explain to him what an S4 was :banghead:

I doubt if I would recognise an S3 from the front, but from the rear the exhausts give it away.

Last edited:
perfect example tonight caught up to a corsa VXR on the A264 towards Tonbridge, he was casually poodling along obeying all the speed limits, I overtake him and another then preceded to carry on my way sensibly, straight away hes overtaken the car he was behind aswell then is inches off my bumper then attempts to overtake me on corner.....

I doubt if I would recognise an S3 from the front, but from the rear the exhausts give it away.

This is one thing I don't like. I do like how it's subtle and understated, but there should be more than just a few badges, and silver mirrors to differentiate the S3 from any other S-line when looking at it from the front and sides, maybe not so much the sides but certainly the front, a different bumper, splitter and grill maybe?? Obviously the quad pipes do the job from behind. I'd prefer not to be so stealthy tbh, I would like people to see an S3 and instantly know its more special than other A3s but then I don't want to be all shouty like an Astra vxr - been there and done that lol

Reactions: rikia93
This is one thing I don't like. I do like how it's subtle and understated, but there should be more than just a few badges, and silver mirrors to differentiate the S3 from any other S-line when looking at it from the front
The S3 has a different grill, think the non S3 A3 has an all black grill?!?! Also whilst on the subject, how come no fog lights on the S3, Golf R, M135i etc???

It's the same grill, it's just black with a chrome surround. I don't actually know the answer to this so don't take it as gospel but I thought the S3 has air ducts for brake cooling in place of the fogs.

Reactions: S32B
It's the same grill, it's just black with a chrome surround. I don't actually know the answer to this so don't take it as gospel but I thought the S3 has air ducts for brake cooling in place of the fogs.
Yes it does, if there are ducts there you know it's a legit S3. Also the grill is slightly different on the S3, but it's pretty subtle:

-t2ec16h-wfizrqufnzbszf-gt-g-60-12-7479622302289527574.JPG
$_35.JPG

S3 is the first image.

As for people racing etc, I've had very little of that; most folk don't seem to bother. I think I surprised an R8 the other day though, gave it a good hoof in S off some lights, took him a fair few seconds to overtake me. ;)

I was putting my foot down a bit yesterday in a 'sensible' way without being at all silly. Got to a point where I slowed down because of slower traffic etc, and noticed the VW Passat Estate that had been behind me racing up and then sat on my ****. Got to a right turn set of lights with 2 lanes and he went to every effort to use the left lane to get past me and onto the dual carriageway. I just let him get on with it. Will never get into any 'race' situation on a public road. Total ****. And a Passat Estate.....***. I was just letting my car breath in Dynamic for a bit. Must have upset him. Knob!!!

These things aren't as stealth as you think.

Shame as that was my main reason for the purchase.

Hmm looks to be a TINY bit more condenser protection on the S3 grill!

Maybe if the Samoa Orange metallic color were an option for the S3, I'd have gone with that less stealthy color... probably, I really like that color.

Is Nardo stealthy enough of a colour?

l would say Nardo is a in your face colour,due to the fact its quite light and a rare colour,Ford do a almost identical shade of grey for there ST3/RS Focus named "Stealth Grey" and its far from being stealthy looking

Stealth grey Focus RS
RS3 NARDO

Reactions: Rob2k68
That Ford looks more like Nimbus grey to me....

Ah OLD Nimbus grey,my dad had a Orion Ghia 1.6 Injection in that colour Awesome lol..........No it's Ford "Stealth Grey" new for the ST3/Focus RS 215/2016 and is a no cost optional paint

what was disappointing though, when we were coming up to some traffic ahead, he cut from lane 3 to the hard shoulder to get away, embarrassing if he was carrying a passenger to do that just to get away from an "A3 family estate" that's not even nearly as fast or as good as a golf.:jester:

(apparently)

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda like the fact the s3 is less "shouty" than other manufacturers equivalents. Its like the mature car, if you wanna call it that. Im not even sure if I like the 4 pipes on the back of the 8V tbhBut I think anyone that knows anything about cars does know that its an s3 (8P & 8V). I think anyone that looks at it and doesnt realise its something more than a regular A3 then they probably dont know much in general!

lol I couldn't resist last night, I followed an Astra around the roundabout and pulled alongside it at the lights, as soon as the other sides lights went to red he started to creep forward...'No No No' I thought...I didn't exactly redline it, but I pulled off a lot faster than he thought I would :p

I clicked on your video with excitement and was extremely underwhelmed haha. You gently out accelerated a bog standard astra at the lights lol :lick:

First time I unleashed its full power (within legal limits ofc) a few days ago with a bike, kept up with him, distance got wider but then beat him on the corners and was overwhelmed with the power and handling. Truly in a different league from my 8P days.

Are you referring to the 8Ps in your sig? Cause if you are you're kinda comparing apples to oranges there...

I am sure people will disagree but just seen a Brilliant Black S3 Saloon in the works car park......I almost feel asleep as i walked past it, defo IMHO the most stealth like S3 i have seen

As HB or SB any black look imposing and not stealth like but a black Saloon...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Reactions: PrancingPanda
This is absolutely true.

When I bought my S3 they had two in stock with decent spec and practically ready to go (all they needed were plates). One was in Brilliant Black the other was in Sepang Blue. Black suits certain cars but not the S3 and, from experience, it's a ****** to keep clean.

I hate the 4 pipes it looks ridiculous and it total overkill on a 4-Cylinder engine and think its trying to hard to make up for the lack of different/ wider front arches or similar. A better more aggressive rear spoiler would have been nice too.

Yes, I would prefer the two large ovals as per the RS cars... :welcoming:

Reactions: rasA4
I hate the 4 pipes it looks ridiculous and it total overkill on a 4-Cylinder engine and think its trying to hard to make up for the lack of different/ wider front arches or similar. A better more aggressive rear spoiler would have been nice too.

4 pipes looks ridiculous, but a bigger spoiler wouldn't?

Reactions: monopole

At least the 4 pipes are functional and not fake,l wouldnt buy a car if l hated any part of it,including the 4 pipe exhaust, especially with them being so prominent

Reactions: PrancingPanda and Simon L
The 4 pipes are standard on all S cars it helps differentiate them from A cars. You won't get the big ovals as all the RS cars get that....unless you buy the RSQ3 then you get shafted and get 1 oval less

Reactions: Bristle Hound, The Challinor and PrancingPanda
I'm quite liking the latest A7 with the rectangular exhausts, Mrs Banshee likes them too. Next car maybe???

This is one thing I don't like. I do like how it's subtle and understated, but there should be more than just a few badges, and silver mirrors to differentiate the S3 from any other S-line

That will come with the facelift model knowing Audi!
Ensures existing owners keep putting their hands in their pockets

I Just think that one manifold bank splitting into a dual box, splitting into 4 tips is weak. Ok on two banks like a V6/8 but pathetic on a 4-cylinder.
I don't think a more aggressive functional rear spoiler would do the aesthetics any harm as this and/or more aggressive functional styling (like wider arches and track width) would make the car a bit more desirable/ special c.f. and A3.

That's just my personal opinion as I appreciate some prefer the understated looks. Cant please everyone can they?

I like the old Golf R32 exhaust system. Having said that I think the S3 carries off the quad pipes a bit better then the current Golf R.

You won't get the big ovals as all the RS cars get that....unless you buy the RSQ3 then you get shafted and get 1 oval less
Unless you have a 8P RS3 :(

Always wondered why Audi didn't put the RS oval exhaust on that car