How to turn on air con?

racingcar64

Reaction score
Silly question, but with my new a6 avant, how do I turn on air con?

I have 3 buttons, which says econ, then a with a narrow and then auto...

Do I just turn the heat settings to lo and then it automatically turns on?

I read somewhere that if you turn the econ button on, it stops ac working....

Help would be appreciated...

As its climate control the compressor is always on (if its working)
Econ turns off the compressor.
Lift bonnet
Set the temperature to Lo with Econ 'lit' and engine running.
Turn off Econ (led off)
Within 10 seconds should hear a click and that's the compressor kicking in.
Air at the vents should be around 5 Deg C

If you don't get a click of cold air then first call is a recharge and of course a leak check....the refrigerant doesn't stay in forever.
VCDS scan should show any issues with sensors and switches....

Looks like I have a problem....econ not going off at all, just not letting me... Did a search on Google and it seems it's a common problem...either a re gas or a pressure switch I think it said?

Do you think I should re gas or check it first?

It's a 2003 with 121k on the clock....

Looks like I have a problem....econ not going off at all, just not letting me... Did a search on Google and it seems it's a common problem...either a re gas or a pressure switch I think it said?

I am facing same issue with my A6 Avant, I had regas it for a 40£ at my local garage, but it still didn't work... Then we did a full diagnostics on the Air-con, and like u said a common fault, Air-con preasure control valve had stop working... Its expensive type off valve, coz I rang up my local Audi centre and new sensor valve is 64£, but they give a 2 years off warranty, I have ordered mine via internet for a 25£, from spares... I would run a diagnostics first to find out for sure why its not running. And if u end up like me with a same fault, MAKE SURE U GETTINING A CORRECT PART, BECAUSE IT WILL NOT WORK!
That Valve-sensor important to the Air-con, if its too much gas or preasure it will not work, if its not enouth same it will not work.
This Valve-sensor give info to Air-con compresor, yes or no, start to work or no...
Good luck!

I have 03 Plate, C5, 1.9 Tdi, Sport, 130Bhp.
And I been giving from my local Audi these part numbers for that Air-Con Valve:
Most common - 8E0 959 126
Also will work - 8E0 959 126B
Also will work - 8E0 959 126C

But your Air-con system not sure or its same, I would give a ring to your local Audi by your Reg. Plate to confirm this, coz these Sensor-Valves are not cheap... :)
I hope this info will help for u... :beerchug:

The ECON light is also a pressure fault indicator.
As above either loss of pressure or dead pressure sensor.
Tech with a gauge set can confirm if you have pressure and VCDS will read sensor fault.
Sensor is behind the front bumper left hand from the front and is screw in on a ball valve.

Its on the black connector above the bumper mount.
They can simply work loose...
Don't go messing with replacing sensors if the refrigerant charge is good until you have valid codes...fan controller, relays and fuses all in the queue.
Remember gas pressure present does not mean the charge is correct its a phase change fluid.
Expect around 3-4 bar depending on air temperature.