Charging & dpf

Detailer dave

Reaction score
good evening to you all.

So a few days ago I made a post about battery charging and some fellow members recommended a ctek charger for my a3 tdi so bought one as car is only used weekends and want to keep battery topped up what a great piece of kit can leave on car all week and it will look after battery no problems so a big thank you to fellow members.

Now on to dpf so yesterday we went out in car short trip from Chesterfield to mansfield about 18 miles in all on way home noticed a burning smell from engine and rpm rose to 1000 rpm strange I thought but carried on driving after a while smell went away and revs went back to about 800 rpm normal.

So today I called audi technical about this and his response was that the car was doing a regeneration told him car only had 80 miles on clock he said this those not matter all a3 tdi will do a regeneration even on short trips as not everyone does long trips and people were having problems with blocked dpf what a great idea by audi of course I'll still do reg oil changes and use v power diesel.

How many miles do you anticipate doing annually?

If it's not all that much, you're going to have real problems running a diesel...

Will be doing about 6000 a year just love the power and tourqe of a diesel our last car was a diesel with dpf never had a problem.

What problems you thinking off.

Hmm, I'm not really qualified to say whether that's enough miles or not, but my understanding is that if you don't get the engine up to temperature frequently and for a good while, you'll just end up with endless DPF problems resulting in a replacement part needed.

If you've done that mileage before with a DPF car though with no problems, you might well be fine.

We do and will be taking car out on long trips from time to time but the point I was trying to make was audi have taken this to mind and have done things so that if one does not do enough long trips the the revs will rise and dpf will regenerate anyway.

Plus the use of clean burning diesel and low ash oil also helps.

Just make sure you keep the fuel above 1/4 of a tank and every now and again when it is doing a DPF regen let it run its cycle. If the DPF light comes on then take it for a run at decent speed and that will clear it.

Mine does the same, does a regen on a short journey and nothing on a long one sods law

Well as long as it does a regen i dont mind long or short run like i say low saps oil v power diesel the way to go.