Clutch hunting - gear linkage choice

mclearg

Reaction score
Hi all, I've recently bought an 2001 A3 1.8t Quattro (180) that needs a dmf.
When looking around for the best deal on a dmf I was asked if my car had a cable gear change or a linkage.
I've had a look and it's definitely a cable but should it make a difference to the clutch and flywheel?
Even with the chassis number the supplier asked this question - I'd hate to buy the wrong one
Cheers
Gordon

All A3's are cable... generic parts places with generic parts catalogues I suspect is the issue here

Buy an LuK one if you can... also on the A3 TQS they use the 02M gearbox not the 02J... this comes in 5 speed and 6 speed versions... if yours is a 5 speed make sure they don't try and sell you a clutch for a FWD 02J gearbox as its going to be wrong

<tuffty/>

Thanks Tuffty, it is the 6 speed and luckily (see what I did ther!) it was LUK I was looking at :)

I was told to contact you regarding what set up is recommended for the 1.8T (180) Quattro. I fear I emailed another Tuffty :-$
I have no plans on remapping or anything like that so I'm just debating whether to refit a DMF or do a single mass conversion.
My mate is a master tech at Audi and of course he said to put a DMF in but the car has 90k on it and I'll probably only put another 30k on it in 3 years then it'll be either scrapped or sold on.
Do you have any recommendations? I've ordered the Audi repair manual DVD's (Elsawin) - have you done the job? any special tools required? I'm hearing there is a ****** of an Allen bolt squirrelled away somewhere.
Any assistance greatly appreciated
Gordon

SMF conversions are a bit hit and miss... doesn't seem to be one that 'recommended' as such and clutch feel/use is hugely subjective...

Personally I'd stick a std LuK DMF and clutch back on and be done... don't forget to replace the concentric slave too

There is a special tool (long 6mm allen key) required to undo the drive flange bolt on the transfer box... you will need to drop the subframe to aid clearance although I normally remove the whole thing as its easier

Its a straightforward enough job, just loads to remove and the gearbox weighs loads...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: mclearg
Thanks again. Next question is how many teeth? 5 or 10? Both are for ARY engine codes but there is £100 of a difference. . . .no doubt it'll be the more expensive one but just want to check.
I'll try and post the link to Carparts for less below
http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/flywheel