Unicorn Motor Developments Golf R Stage 1 Drops into the 11's!

Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
11.976 @ 114 at Santa Pod on Saturday
11150462 978374718853925 7350880523908096219 n

Standard tires, normal fuel, just an intake which I don't actually think does anything...

No reason an S3 can't do the same :)

Rick

Reactions: leshkin, S3_Sanni, veeeight and 3 others
360bhp on my Dyno, bare in mind standard cars make around 293, a lot of dyno's read 300 plus as standard.

Not timed 0-60 or 0-100 on this car, but 1/4 mile times are the best indicator of performance.

Rick

Reactions: S3Alex
Went to York Raceaway two weeks ago. Took my car and few friends took theirs.
My mates mk7 Golf R did 11.8 @ 113
These new s3's and R's really are turning into something else when mapped :thumbs up:

Went to York Raceaway two weeks ago. Took my car and few friends took theirs.
My mates mk7 Golf R did 11.8 @ 113
These new s3's and R's really are turning into something else when mapped :thumbs up:

Do you have the time slip? The chap above with an 11.97 is reported to be the quickest Golf R to date? I'm sure if there was a lower 11.8 run, it would have been stated?

What date did you go, Sunday 5th April? York raceway publishes results online and there were no 11.8 sec runs from any cars.

Last edited:
4a58f518500195b64fcd01c6a7e38cc6.jpg

Here's the slip mate. We went on the 5th yes. Not sure if it was reported or not..

Reactions: Leo-RS
There were a few cars in the 11's on that day.. And one car in 10's...

Hes got custom map, downpipe and piper cross panel filter
With just a stage 1 map he was getting 12.1 at pod. Mental!

Thats the one.. What mods you got on your car mate?

It was running most aggressive map on tuning box with octane booster and APR intake / Forge FMIC.

Would need a proper remap and a cat less downpipe to go any quicker, the tuning box was at its limits.

Edit... Infact, scrub that, that was tuning box/intake and octane booster. The cooler was added later on and I didn't get a chance to run that spec down the strip. I removed intake and cooler shortly after and sold them on as decided not to go down the custom tune path. (ordered new car so decided to bin the S3 progression)

Last edited:
11.9 still a good time for an 8v s3.. I can't wait to see what a new rs3 would do down a strip...

Yes, RS3 will be a hoot.

Reactions: S3_Sanni
Quattro badge personally looks good.. A friend of mine has that on his s3

I love the RS6, especially it in sepang with the quattro badge.

I'm about to order the rs gril for my s3 but can't decide on a quattro badge version.. at the moment looking like without

Oh Leo that's beautiful u lucky b**tard I hope at some point in my life I'm in a position to own one of them, can't wait to see any updates on it

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant and Leo-RS
The Golf R in question is mine, here's the times from the day..

Like Rick said there is a couple of cars that have went quicker, but my car is just stage 1, no downpipe.

Reactions: S3_Sanni and Leo-RS
just a question guys: why did the RT´s are so long? Maybe to launch exactly when the boost gauge is in the max?

Reaction times do not form part of your elapsed time so you can sit there for as long as you want. If you're racing something worthwhile you'll make an effort to launch off the lights to race it. If you're not bothered about racing the other car, you wait until you're ready in your own time, much less pressure, settle the revs etc. You don't really want to be on launch control longer than 10secs or so and that may often be the case if you're racing someone side by side and the lights are not changing quickly.

Reactions: kayemill
I know reaction time doesn't form part of the total time but I am surprised by the poor 60 foot times considering launch control was being used.I would feel quite embarrased sitting there for nearly 5 seconds after the lights changed.
My A4 pretty much always manages around 1.85 seconds occasionally a bit quicker, the lowest I have seen was a 1.78 but a slow launch will be 1.9s. I don't have as much power, no launch control, manual gearbox and a lot more weight and most of the time I use standard road tyres. I did try some Federal RSR tyres but you can't warm them up so they were no advantage. Still sub 12s is very quick for a lightly breathed on production car.
All credit to VAG for making such a good car in the first place.

Karl.

Reactions: kanecullen89
I know all that Leo, just curious why staying so long, if it´s because the boost or something else to achieve best times.

I know all that Leo, just curious why staying so long, if it´s because the boost or something else to achieve best times.

For me,

Scenario 1 - Line up against the other car, both cars have staged, engage launch control and sit there at 4000rpm waiting on the lights changing. The lights may change in a couple of seconds or they may change in 30 secs, you don't know how long you will be stuck on launch control limiter. After about 10secs or so, the car doesn't really like it, revs start dipping and you're building up heat in the engine bay by keeping it there for so long. Best case scenario, the lights change a couple of seconds later, worst case scenario, you're kept there 30secs or so. For me, I've found a hold of 4-5secs works best.

Scenario 2 - Line up at lights, let them change, remain still and start LC procedure, hold it there for your 4-5secs and then launch. In this case, you have taken the pressure off of getting away from the lights quickly and you are doing the launch in a controlled manner under your own terms (Hold 4-5secs instead of 30)

This is why you may find 'poor' reaction times. Some of my RT's have been 10sec+ before I get off the line.

All depends on what's lined up against you and whether you are chasing times.

Reactions: S3_Sanni and Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.
That´s what i´m talking about, keeping the foot too much time in the pedal can not work right for better times.

Just out of interest what kind of 60ft times does the car post if you don't use launch control ?

Hey guys. I recently ran a 11.88 @ 113 mph on my APR stage 1 S3 with intake and a catless downpipe using 104 Oct gas. I'll post my time slip later on.

Reactions: Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.
There was ANOTHER 11 second Stage 1 Unicorn'd R at the pod yesterday, post the slip up Rick. ;)