B8 / B8.5 A4 / S4 Little Surprises

I spent over half an hour going over the car at Goodwood and its pretty good. Two major issues though.....I am 6'4" and there's limited room for the driver, old Q7 and our current X5 has loads of space for the driver and the passenger directly behind.

secondly, and the biggest issue for my wife is that the cupholders are two small, she hates mine in the RS4, front of two is OK, rear of the two she maons about all the time.

WIdth in the cabin is good, seats are wide along with the console, its a wide car just like the X5.

IMG 3945

I have to admit I'm going to miss my equal sized cup holders in the Q5 when my A4 arrives, I can get a glass bottle of irn bru in each of them, perfect fit and held snug so they don't rattle, I'll soon only be able to buy one bottle at a time :(

Reactions: Chop. and Blackwhite
I have to admit I'm going to miss my equal sized cup holders in the Q5 when my A4 arrives, I can get a glass bottle of irn bru in each of them, perfect fit and held snug so they don't rattle, I'll soon only be able to buy one bottle at a time :(

You sound like myself, I consider the cup holder, a very important detail! :yes:

Yup cup holders under the armrest !!! Argh !!

Have my armrest out all the time so small cup holder is useless and big one is a pain t get too, and none in the back for the kids ! Can you get an rear arm rest with holders in it for the rear? B8

Cup holders in door are a nice touch though, removable blackout blind and boot cover are a nice touch in the avant, handy for trips to the dump

Having no oil dip stick was a shock, had to buy one as my old school brain can't trust a computer

That wide console. I'm assuming its a Q7. Looks pretty nice BUT I don't like these screens that jut up out of the dash. They look like an afterthought. Like a 12 year old just stuck it there. I know the 6s etc "slide" away but they have to come out to be used. The screen in the binnacle in my mind is so much more integrated. Personal taste. All the europeans are going this way. I hope that when I go to buy a new car this fad has gone.

That wide console. I'm assuming its a Q7. Looks pretty nice BUT I don't like these screens that jut up out of the dash. They look like an afterthought. Like a 12 year old just stuck it there. I know the 6s etc "slide" away but they have to come out to be used. The screen in the binnacle in my mind is so much more integrated. Personal taste. All the europeans are going this way. I hope that when I go to buy a new car this fad has gone.

I suppose at least Audi are doing better, both BMW and Merc are a fixed screen the doesn't slid away, they look even more of an after thought.

Yup cup holders under the armrest !!! Argh !!

Have my armrest out all the time so small cup holder is useless and big one is a pain t get too, and none in the back for the kids ! Can you get an rear arm rest with holders in it for the rear? B8

Cup holders in door are a nice touch though, removable blackout blind and boot cover are a nice touch in the avant, handy for trips to the dump

Having no oil dip stick was a shock, had to buy one as my old school brain can't trust a computer

Blackout blind, are you sure?

Not sure if that's the official name but there's a removable blind attached along behind my back seats which pulls up and clips into corners of roof

My car has back seat passenger blinds. Not a box I'd normally tick but its happened that on an afternoon drive the passenger on the sunny side found it worked a treat. My car was an Audi managers car. He must have had such and such to spend so kept ticking boxes until he maxxed out. Do you guys have an anodized red ring around the engine start button. This was not on the A4. Can't find reference to it anywhere. An S4 thing?

My car was also a managers car from Cardiff Audi, which means it has an array of options selection. (Although not always my preffered options!)

It has the privicy glass and the window blinds, which i feel is pointless as the tints are the darkest ive ever had on a car! Also got the load retainers in the boot, the blind that Chop describes above, ski hatch, but no sign of a cargo net.

The two options i really wanted but had to sacrifice on were the sports diff and advance key!

Didnt know you could fit a dipstick, so will definately be doing this. I am also not keen on relying on the computer.

Reactions: Chop.
Well I just did a little search and found reference to my red start button. Check out a site called A5OC another audi site. A moderator called Cuppa has a DIY on this one in I think an S6. This is whats in my S4. Its a really cool finish. Looks neato against the carbon and would stand out beautifully against the piano. Purely cosmetic. Just a little subtle one I'm sure you would like. Must admit this puzzles me a bit. There is definitely no mention of this in the options list here. And I would bet this was not something he/she did.

Last edited:
Well I just did a little search and found reference to my red start button. Check out a site called A5OC another audi site. A moderator called Cuppa has a DIY on this one in I think an S6. This is whats in my S4. Its a really cool finish. Looks neato against the carbon and would stand out beautifully against the piano. Purely cosmetic. Just a little subtle one I'm sure you would like. Must admit this puzzles me a bit. There is definitely no mention of this in the options list here. And I would bet this was not something he/she did.
Wasn't this thread was it @chucky1 ?
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/great-s5-thread.248449/

Yes Bristle this is the one. Page 10. I have seen this on one other S4 and assumed it was a B8.5 thing vs a B8. However I have seen plenty of 8.5 photos and its not there. Its not on the spec sheet here as an option but it exists. I'm puzzled. I'll take a photo later unless you guys tell me its standard.

Yep, thats the one Geoff. Looks dinky. This car was from the Audi management group ie their executives here. Can't imagine one of these guys doing this. Who knows? It would be great to just go tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick though. As I said it looks good against carbon. I think it would look even better against the piano black.

Just debadged the car and took a couple of snaps of the starter button.
IMG 0574
IMG 0578

Reactions: xpoweruk and Chop.
Mmmm... in stereo. God I"m hopeless at uploading things on the computer!

Mmmm... in stereo. God I"m hopeless at uploading things on the computer!
@chucky1 - Sorted for you buddy! :thumbs up:

& we want to see pics of the carbon supercharged badges when fitted please :)

Reactions: Chop. and GeoffDunk
My OEM start button has the red surround like that.

Dippy. I've seen a couple of these but thats about it. Its a bit random. Bristle. Thanks for sorting that one for me. Not sure what happened there. Thats me and computers. The badges will arrive later this week. The V6T is gone. Looks better already.

Apologies if a repeat but I had a 'simple' moment of discovery today, parked up with the engine left running, undid my seatbelt and the handbrake engaged automatically! :)
I know something today that I didn't know yesterday.
Little things.....

Reactions: jdp1962
Yesterday I reversed into my garage, stopped the engine, got out and closed the door, and locked it. When I went into the house I discovered that the EU had finally agreed bailout terms with Greece. The intelligence of this car never ceases to amaze me. :)

Reactions: ScooB, skiptowncat, ERBY and 1 other person
i believe it also auto engages of you have no seat belt on and get out of the drivers seat.
Yep mine does this and it also turns the engine off once I am out.

I sometimes open my door when reversing into a parking bay to make sure I am straight (OCD with lines) so this is a PITA when it does that, but I guess it is a safety feature.

Cupholders are more significant that you might think.

I make my wife a packed lunch every morning along with two coffees in two s/s travel mugs. In here X5 the cup holders are large and deep. She wants to trade her X5 in for the new Q7 now that it's avaialbe to order but when I had a good look round it at Goodwood FoS i found they had done away with the old Q7's cupholders in favour for two small types like the small one in the A4, my wife has now dismiised the new Q7 and wants a new replacment X5 just becasue of the poor cupholders!

View attachment 62871

Christ they all look like BMW inspired posh boats!

Reactions: Bristle Hound
B8.5 1.8Tfsi BE
ESC button : press once and orange traction control symbol appears on dash with warning stating 'Electronic Stability Control : sport'

I never realised it said sport. Always assumed it was an On/Off selection.
If you hold the button for 5 seconds the message changes to 'Off' and an additional warning is provided confirming so.

I have no idea what 'sport' mode does for me though........off to read manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdp1962
B8.5 1.8Tfsi BE
ESC button : press once and orange traction control symbol appears on dash with warning stating 'Electronic Stability Control : sport'

I never realised it said sport. Always assumed it was an On/Off selection.
If you hold the button for 5 seconds the message changes to 'Off' and an additional warning is provided confirming so.

I have no idea what 'sport' mode does for me though........off to read manual.

Sport give you a little less intrusion and a little bit more slip alos none as "fun", I can get the back end of my RS out easily in this mode.

Off removes it all together which in the RS lets you light the tyres up.

I think they called carry hooks but people usually hangs their food on them. So that's curry

Reactions: Brennan
Oh I get it now, hanging your Chinese bags hahaha what a good idea

Reactions: Keef
On the trip computer, as you all know, it has 2 settings

I use setting 1 (which auto resets after 2 hours if my memory serves me right) as my normal day to day setting
Setting 2 I use per tankful of fuel

When I used to fill with fuel up on my old B8 A4 I had to reset each category in setting 2

On my S4 I only have to reset 1 category in setting 2 & they all reset

Only a small thing but makes my life a little easier lol

Also noticed the SD card sits more flush in the radio/CD than it did on my old A4

My wife was driving mine and said the lights dipped when a car came the other way. I thought yeah ok, whatever you say. Only turns out she was right.....Hate it when that happens !

Also just found reading the book you do not have to release the handbrake it does it when you pull off. I really should read the book I keep finding stuff I did not know it did.

Reactions: Blackwhite