S3 8L running Vmaxx Xxtreme

J Eyo

Polo GTI (6) R
Reaction score
Hi guy,

Went the full suspension upgrade, took one weekend, new poly bushes on absolutely everything even a black poly bushed steering bush, H&R 25/21mm arbs (running as stiff as possible, yes I have managed to get the back end to skip hitting a corner hard here in Melbourne during a rainy day, if you know how to drive, it feels phenomenal), and finally the Vmaxx Xxtreme Coilovers. (On a side note I also, definitely recommend caster correct bushes for your A-arms, they feel fantastic, the steering wheel feels drastically more controlled. There's a constant centring that feeds directly from the tarmac and lets the car almost drive itself. Every inch of the road communicates to your hands)

The install was exceptionally simple (the coils that is, and everything else, except subframe down for front arb, argh) There were no fitment issues what so ever. I can't comment on separate adjustments (i.e. number of clicks on the damper per side actually matching and being consistent) as I'm running them full stiff. They're not crashy at all (though the arbs set to full stiff makes it feel pretty intense), on full soft the ride quality is good, not as if it were on stock but close. However from a driving perspective, its much more enjoyable on full stiff! I haven't played around in between full soft and stiff as I have no need.

Theres no leaking, no bad fitments and they look fantastic. There's no knocking, no noise, they're extremely responsive and feel fantastic....but the ride height! Here's the clincher, in the photo, the back is as low as it will go, the gap is a finger and a half. The front, also a finger and a half/a finger, and it'll go so low i could put the car on the floor.

For me this is perfect as my custom 3" exhaust is rather low (I only have round resonators, no muffler) any lower and id start ripping off parts. However guys, if you want something to slam your car, these aren't the coils you want.

If you want a cheap set of coils that aren't cheap performers, these are the best of the bunch. Definitely get the damper adjust, I managed to get my set for $700aud off eBay, which is an absolute steal. Its not the most detailed review, but as far as ease of install, adjustment and performance, these are phenomenal. Time will tell.

FullSizeRender
Suspension

Reactions: Alex C
I've often wondered about the Vmaxx, by far the least documented of the cheaper coilovers! . . Perhaps the dark horse?

Also, nice rim choice... different!

And check out the underneath of a 15 year old car that has NEVER been on a gritted road!!!! . . makes me weep :(

Reactions: superkarl, Alex C and Mrharris2
I see that you have installed powertrack insert.. how does it feel? any problems with haldex?

Unrealted to OP, but very nice car, i've seen your car around Brunswick, im there myself haha!

Take care.

so where did you source all these parts for $1500 (or so) from? any links as i'm still not sure where to look for suspension stuff here in melb
:)

hi guys, sorry dead on here for a while been a bit busy! I found everything on eBay, just have to be patient and for some reason parts do come along fairly cheap once in a while, also, eBay.de (germany) found my arbs and coilovers cheap. For my bushes, I got some power flex but some are the red polyurethane ones, not sure the brand but they're quite a bit cheaper! And thanks for the compliments on the car! still having boost problems though :( can't figure this one out!