Help configuring my S3

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will be placing an order for an S3 this week but would like to know your opinions regarding the options.

I've basically ticked all the options except for the magnetic ride since I am already a bit over budget and I've been told it doesn't really make the ride more comfortable in comfort mode than the standard sports suspension.

Will it look nice in sepang blue with the full led headlights and the standard 18 inch 5 twin spoke rims?

I don't think the black styling package suits the car very well especially in this color. There is no contrast between the black "chrome" and the black plastic on the car.

I love the twin spoke 19 inch wheels but unfortunately cannot spec if since the roads in my country are terrible and 18 inch wheels fare much better in potholes and provide better ride comfort than the 19 inch rims.

I will opt for the silver exterior mirrors since it looks cool. Much nicer than body color.

The interior with be black with the optional sports seats in nappa leather with the mono pur package.

Let me know what you guys think of my combo and if I could make the car any better.

Thanks.

Sepang with standard wheels looks great IMO.

I wouldnt have it with a Black Styling Package, completely changes the look of the car IMO, it almost tricks the eye and makes the colour look darker!

I've also got thje Super Sports Seats like you

Attachments

• IMG_5986.JPG
    IMG_5986.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_5994.JPG
    IMG_5994.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5995.JPG
    IMG_5995.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_5968.JPG
    IMG_5968.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_5965.JPG
    IMG_5965.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5966.JPG
    IMG_5966.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5981.JPG
    IMG_5981.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 145
I forgot to mention I am ordering the sedan and not the sportsback so those aren't the standard wheels I am talking about although I sure wish these were an option on the sedan version. My dealer said they are only compatible with the hatchback version. Maybe I can spray the wheels to make them look like that though. The dealer said they can do it free of charge.

Oh no, not another Sepang..................................................

My favourite 3 options :-

B&O
Sunroof
....... Mono Pur (Sorry guys I've said it - it just finished off the interior nicely)

I have added those options as well. A must if you ask me.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I can't really see the logic in dropping from 19" to 18" when you're leaving out magnetic ride.

All the reviews I've read say the mag ride makes a lot of difference. As the roads where you live are terrible I would have thought it would have been at the top of your options list!

Oh and don't listen to the boy-racers on here, they drive everywhere in dynamic mode ;)

Why is that?

It is true that reviews say that mag ride is a must but then again that is with 19 inch wheels and not 18 inch wheels which are much more forgiving on bad roads.

Also, most people on forums say that mag ride is not worth it and that you either won't feel a difference or that mag ride is only good for smooth tarmac.

How am I supposed to make up my mind when everyone has a different view on it?

The S3 Saloon comes standard with magnetic ride. Are you sure you're leaving it out?

You are misinformed my friend. It does not come standard on the S3. In fact it is a 2200$ option here in Lebanon so i am still trying to justify its cost

Since this is a UK-based site, with predominantly UK users, I'm not misinformed about the local offering ;)

Why is that?

It is true that reviews say that mag ride is a must but then again that is with 19 inch wheels and not 18 inch wheels which are much more forgiving on bad roads.

Also, most people on forums say that mag ride is not worth it and that you either won't feel a difference or that mag ride is only good for smooth tarmac.

How am I supposed to make up my mind when everyone has a different view on it?

Well that's a very easy question, take a test drive in both and make up your own mind.

You have had a test drive, haven't you?!! ;)

If it's $2000 you need to insist the demo car has mag ride installed.

It's quite interesting actually how standard offerings and packs differ globally and also what options aren't actually available at all in other regions. Obviously they'll have been constructed based on plenty of information collected on preferences but there will always be some who bemoan this.

As for magnetic ride it was with the panoramic roof as "nice to have" options but not on my "base" spec. I did decide however that I wanted to reduce the likelihood that an expensive car wouldn't have things i regretted not adding and I thought the panoramic roof added another dimension to the car. The magnetic ride seems to polarise opinion a little, both on here and in reviews i've read. It does seem that with the larger wheels it's advisable and on UK roads certainly perhaps adds the possibility of that extra compliance whilst still giving you the option for the firmer set-up.

Reactions: Rob2k68
There's definately a noticeable difference between comfort and dynamic with mag ride. I've not pushed my car yet so cannot comment at that end but at lower speeds over bumps and rumble strips it is more bouncy (compliant) on comfort but that's not to say I couldn't live with dynamic 100% of the time as it's nowhere near as stiff as the Civic Type R or Clio Trophy I've had in the past. Is it worth the money ? - only you can decide after driving both. I'm glad I got it as it adds an extra dimension to the drives modes and I feel it may come in to it's own as some point if I decide to upgrade to 19" rims. If I planned from the outset to drop it or tinker with the suspension at all then I would have definately have left it off.

Well that's a very easy question, take a test drive in both and make up your own mind.

You have had a test drive, haven't you?!! ;)

If it's $2000 you need to insist the demo car has mag ride installed.

You don't say! I would have take both cars with different suspensions for a ride but my dealer only stocks the s3 with the standard suspension so how am I supposed to compare it with on with magnetic ride? I found it a little stiff on bad roads but I am still unsure if I can get comfortable with it on the long run.

To be honest that's rediculous, how can they expet you to lash out $2k on something you've never tried!

Do they have a another model for comparison with mag ride, or maybe another dealer within striking distance of where you live?

I can't really see the logic in dropping from 19" to 18" when you're leaving out magnetic ride.

All the reviews I've read say the mag ride makes a lot of difference. As the roads where you live are terrible I would have thought it would have been at the top of your options list!

Oh and don't listen to the boy-racers on here, they drive everywhere in dynamic mode ;)

That's contrary to my experience of mag ride (owned both a TTS and TTRS). It's the last option I would spec if you live somewhere where the roads are less than silky smooth! I test drove an 8V S3 with it and found little has moved on. On UK roads, IMO it's a waste of money, unless of course you want a car that handles inconsistently and at the press of a button tries to break your spine when you drive along a typical English B road...

That's contrary to my experience of mag ride (owned both a TTS and TTRS). It's the last option I would spec if you live somewhere where the roads are less than silky smooth! I test drove an 8V S3 with it and found little has moved on. On UK roads, IMO it's a waste of money, unless of course you want a car that handles inconsistently and at the press of a button tries to break your spine when you drive along a typical English B road...

....well leave the damn launch control alone then ;)

1081.gif

Reactions: Dave-o