Key vibration

ERBY

Supercharged Member
Reaction score
In the last week or so my key has begun to vibrate in the ignition, as the cabin is normally so quiet it's driving me mad!!
So for those without keyless start have you experienced this?
(I plan to use my spare as an option but over time perhaps the same thing will happen?)

Is it definately the key - because mine has been in due to the fascia around the clocks and MMI making a ticking noise that was the culprit for me

This probably explains what's rattling in my car too. I had assumed it was the bottle of coolant I'd been driving round with (sigh) but removed that and it's coming from the dash somewhere. Will have to have a listen.

The quality of the interior is top notch with the exception of the trim around the clocks/MMI, it feels cheap and not very well put together. It was doing my head in mainly when the cabin was heating up and of course everything expanding. This piece of trim seems more prone to noises

Mine actually fell out of the hole once whilst I was driving. Some say that the little grooves on the end of the fob that the interlock engages in can get clogged with dust and that can cause the key to get loose and start rattling.

Agree that the quality of the instrument binnacle moulding is c**p - mines rattles occasionally too, yet only in cold weather strangely enough.

Deffo the key - if I hold it...it stops! It's a good job it's an auto as I've only got one hand to drive now!!:confused:
It's felt so refined up until now...which is why it's so obvious, perhaps after 5 months it's 'loosening up'.

Reactions: Rich M
Can you not glue a bit of felt or rubber on the key ?

Does anyone find the rattles/tick are road dependant also ?
There is a certain type of road surfacing (chippings over asphalt I think) that brings out every noise in a car.
Same in my 2010 A4, same in my TT, the odd one in the S4. Same bit of road !

I might look into sticking something like felt on the key if my spare is no better....so silly on a 40k+ car:(
@StuBill - my rattle just needs Tarmac I'm afraid!

I wonder if the holder behind has become slightly loose then.

The dealership has been pretty good at finding and fixing a couple of rattles. I had one also in the driver door card when the B&O system was pumped up - so they took all the door cards off, tightened all the window regulators and felted all the inside of the panels.

The only other noises are door seals when they get grubby and they can inhibit a ticking/creaking noise but its the same on any car, which could be what some other people can hear. Gummi pfledge on seals is the ultimate fix

I would be tempted to get your dealer to sort because IIRC they only hold 1 year warrenty on interior stuff like creaks/noises before they start to charge

Reactions: ERBY
I'm enjoying a rattle free car for the moment. The S3 I traded it in for was full of creaks and rattles from the trim. Same as the mk5 GTI I had before that. Amusingly the 80k mile diesel corsa I trundle about in during the week has not one rattle in the cabin.