Another tyre choice question!

Well after taking my mam to Manchester airport a few days back I managed to pick up a screw! Luckily I took out the tyre insurance at ATS so got a new one FOC!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
Reactions: Gazwould
Time to bite the bullet and dump the crappy Apollos on the front as one is now in need of changing!Thank goodness.

"Which" suggest "Continental PremiumContact 5" and "Dunlop SP Sport FastResponse" as being their "Best Buy 205/55 R16V" tyres. Any thoughts? Bearing in mind these are going on a bog standard 2.0 FSI which is hardly a performance car, although I don't hang about.

Mixed driving on A roads, d/carriageway and m/way - in Scotland, so the usual crappy weather and while it would be nice to have a set of winter tyres and a set of summer ones, that ain't happening!

I live in Scotland and have had uniroyal rainsport 3's fitted at £60 a corner for 18's in February. Not had a problem with them at all!

They are definitely a lot more premium that what the price suggests.

I previously had sport contact 3's on the front. Great tyre but wore quickly.

Reactions: Mike_B
Just to add im looking to replace all 4 of mine size 235/40/18
Eagle f1 are coming in at £525 full fit
Bridgestone £460 full fit
Landsail £240
Avon £380
Dunlop sp £525
Kouhmo £385
Falken £400
Michlen ploite sport 3 £500
So as prices are close hard to decided what to go for

Just thought I'd update as put new tyres on 2 weeks for the m.o.t went with kumho at £92 each fulled fitted so far so good not much noise and only had a couple of wet days and feel fine

im also looking for some new tyres. ideally i could do with offloading the Avus 18s but not really in the market for new 19s package deal.

i have looked on blackcircle and also lovetyre, and both seem the most competetive out of all the sites ive looked at, so within the next few weeks ill have to sort something out as those wear markers are rapidly approaching!

My sportmaxx RT's have been on for 8K now and still have over 60% left!! what on earth is your car doing to them??

yep, have to agree with above, i have sport maxx's on and all 4 were new last june and i have covered 12k since and they are still 50% left with no uneven wear at all, and mines a quattro, and i'm not captain slow either.

I have to say SORRY and return my words about KUMHO! I read a few bad comments and i said they were ******** but ... Now i think the same !
These were fitted brand new and seems to be ok but after 40k kilometars at same time all 4 tires get bubbled ! I know tht 40k km are not small amount but 3mm left on the tires.
You can see the pictures that all tires has 3mm+ left but yesterday skip them all 4 !
Drove them on my A4 quattro from Last March ! All 4 were DOT 1713 so brand new and fresh !
Never enter in holes or anything
I choose now GOODYEAR Assimetric 2 for £95 fully fitted !
I will complain now with Kumho so will see what will happen !
See the pictures but i will pass with KUMHO's for the future !
2c6be1c7a512c1c8c146043446d23c67.jpg

be8b3ced3c40f1db7078eb9fca75d3de.jpg

9c1052ced9960ca6b757de892b16eab0.jpg

Ant here are the NEW Good/years with such a bit protector

b8bc9c1d78357d8a7c43ea30cabe61ad.jpg

that's not good, maybe a defective batch, i've used Kumho's many times on my previous cars inc my legacy and they were very good , no complaints from myself, maybe you should have had the batch numbers checked in case there was a flaw, it has happened before and with numerous tyre brands inc goodyear....

I found that bridgestone RE050's to be excellent on 4wd variants, they were factory fitment on my 2006 legacy and lasted for ages even with my spirited driving sometimes.
But as we all know , what works for one may not for others.

I will see ... I'm driving TDI so i need something average - more miles and normal treadwear !
As far as i know - Bridgestone are 100% sport tires and they do not last long because of the perfect grip !
I will see now with Goodyears what will happen !

Glad you found out about the quality of Kumho's , I did warn you .

The Goodyear's you have now are highly regarded by thousands of people.

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
bridgestone do a varied range of tyres to fit many, many models and styles.
I managed allmost 20k on the factory fitted 050's and that was right down to the limit but they are a fairly hard compound hence the longer tyre life.

No worries mate , glad you're ok and not subjected to a nasty blow out on the motorway.

I had the older Kumho KU31 they were better , no problems.

Learning 1st hand from this,

I would always advise buy premium tyres or at least non-budget tyres.

Kumho's in the States are subject to 1000's of views with so many happy customers. Im inclines to agree with A4 Rob about a defective batch as the 'ECSTA' are supposed to be very good.

Sorry to hear of your your issue Dimitar. Bad luck I guess.

@martin1984..good to hear that mate. I think they'll be just fine.

Just to add im looking to replace all 4 of mine size 235/40/18
Eagle f1 are coming in at £525 full fit
Bridgestone £460 full fit
Landsail £240
Avon £380
Dunlop sp £525
Kouhmo £385
Falken £400
Michlen ploite sport 3 £500
So as prices are close hard to decided what to go for

Depends on how you drive.

Dont go for the AVON's. They are budget and generally sh*t.

No need to go for the Michelins as you are most likely not doing track days and driving around like a Go-Kart.

Difficult to say, but I would probably go for the Falkens.. Good price for a premium tyre.

Uniroyal Rainsport 3 on mine, grip in the dry and grip in the wet. Not sure how long they will last though but I guess not as long as premium manufactures with harder rubber. Didn't have a choice though as the tyres were fresh on by the previous owner of the S4.

Incidently, why don't you all try a local tyre dealer for an all in price, usually my dealer comes within a few pounds of an on line price and it's much less hassle.

Yeah, ive also heard the Uniroyal Rainsports 3's are good. I think I saw an advert for them on TV years ago....

Local tyre dealers can be good so I would agree.
Although I do like that feeling when you order online and they get delivered to your work all shrink wrapped and packaged.

I feel like one of the mechanics for an F1 team. haha