check your smoke alarms

newbster

Reaction score
as the title

we had a "small" fire at home on Saturday evening, it was contained in a small lobby off the kitchen, I discovered it before it got too bad and put it out with a garden hose before fire engines got there

the fire brigade check for smoke alarms at every call out, I have two, which to my eternal shame did not have batteries in

the fire man rightly pointed out that if the fire had started at night, I would probably not be typing this. the real killer is smoke, and there was a lot of plastic burning . it is scary how much smoke burning plastic makes

and how well protein powder burns :)

so, if you don't have smoke alarms, get some, if you have them, check them once a month

rant over

Reactions: DarkBunny
Phew!!!

Lucky escape I guess and glad to hear you are all ok and were able to write your warning message.

Glad to hear that you caught it before it caught you out.

We have electric one's fitted to the light circuit but, even those need routine maintenance. Just a brush down or hoover regularly will give peace of mind.

Just one word of advice, watch where you put kitty's litter tray.
Tiddles, going for a scratch at 3.00am, will set them off good style and is a sure fire way of making your cat fly......:laugh:

I try & remember to replace the batteries in ours every year. A small price to pay considering the their importance!!
Glad you & your family are ok fella, 'Alls well that ends well eh !

aye, it was a real "learning experience"
thanks for the good wishes
if one person reading this fits or checks their smoke alarms I would feel some good came of it

and i'm still coughing up black stuff...

We fitted mains powered ones taht are also linked so when one is set off it sets them all off