Plastidip wheels or not

Mike.M

Reaction score
Been thinking for a while I might plastidip my alloys a metallic anthracite colour with a glossifier to finish as don't like the matt look with the weather warming up or should I leave them be

5bee33e32f2ac38bb95c34ca998ec80f_zps2nmcejmj.jpg

Don't bother get em done propley soon as you try clean them with plasti dip it will come off when you rub it

Reactions: DieselJake
I think a gloss anthracite colour professionally painted would look brilliant. I'm considering something similar myself!

I was thinking of plastidip as I can see it what it would look like roughly

Plastidip is quite expensive, to be honest. To do it properly you'll need 4-6 cans (your alloys have a lot of edges and surface area), plus you'll need glossifier. That makes 8-12 cans, and at 10-15 each it adds up quite fast.

Then - I think the matte black plastidip has a surface that's too rough for alloys, it will always feel a bit dirty, just unsmooth. Not sure how the glossifier affects this.

I'd take them to a professional shop - I once paid €200 (150 pounds) for a full set of 19" BBS LM's that were only sand blasted. They needed to sand them, prime them again and then paint them black. All done for 150.

a4_tdi_05.jpg

velgen1.jpg

Did the pin stripe myself:
a4_03.jpg

a4_01.jpg

So, I'd say - either do them properly, or don't. Try to post some proper pictures from the side and I'll see if I can shop the right color in for you.

I think you can pull the glossy anthracite off. Just a quick shop, nothing too fancy, but you get the idea.

Glossy anthracite

Reactions: DrStrange and barkclark
I like it, but then again, I've always been running black wheels on my Avus B6.. Would you want them a tad lighter? I can do that later today if you want.

Turned out a bit too dark, but, your picture is full of compression artifacts.. any change in levels gives hugely sharp highlights and noise.. best I can do in 5 minutes at work...

Anthracite rims

Looks good, cheers man! I deleted the last picture as I realised the quality wasn't really up to much. Is this any better?
3127cd912149771324e8faa9668953d6.jpg

Better, but still a lot of JPG artifacts which makes it a lot more difficult.. I can see you've uploaded them through Tapatalk, which compresses the original enormously (mobile usage). Better to post the original picture from your PC or something ;).

Dark rims 1
Dark rims 2
Dark rims 3

Reactions: barkclark
Thanks man! They look great! In that case I'll try uploading a better picture after work tonight! Cheers

First one is a tad better, the other isn't. Lots of sharp artifacts. Because the point is sort-of clear, I haven't done that one again. The first is attached.. I'd say, go for it, your current rims aren't very glossy so that's sort of missing in the shops (I can't easily recreate highlights and gloss), but I'm sure a gloss black will do perfectly. I still love it on my own Avus A4..

Dark 1

19x8 ET35, 235/35:
130914_02.JPG

130914_03.JPG

18x8 ET27, 225/40, winter setup:
winter2012_2013_2.jpg

Haha sorry mate. Got a bit carried away.
Back to your question. I'd get them professionally painted if you could. If not I'd leave them as they are. They look really decent!

Cheers bastet! Your a saint! I think I'll go for when I get them refurbed! Ps the team dynamics look great.

Reactions: bastet