What made you choose A3?

Abrown

Reaction score
What made you choose an A3 over any over model? A4/A5? Was it the price? Looks?

Because they look cool

Reactions: Bandicoot51 and Abrown
New generation, price, performance, quality, design etc...

Anything longer wouldn't have fitted in the drive without sticking out over the pavement.
It was the A3 or a new A-class merc, I didn't like the new merc dash and the A3 had a free satnav offer at the time so bought the Audi. However the Merc dash is growing on me, the A3 needed a new gearbox at 4k miles and at 9k its currently in the garage having a new turbo and clutch/dual mass flywheel fitted and I'm beginning to think I made a bad choice :(

Size and the fact that I could spec the car to what I wanted. I also considered and liked the Golf 7 but VW are not so flexible as Audi in allowing the purchaser to choose what they want and what they don't. The other major factor is that it is available with the s-tronic gearbox. A must as far as I'm concerned.

Anything longer wouldn't have fitted in the drive without sticking out over the pavement.
It was the A3 or a new A-class merc, I didn't like the new merc dash and the A3 had a free satnav offer at the time so bought the Audi. However the Merc dash is growing on me, the A3 needed a new gearbox at 4k miles and at 9k its currently in the garage having a new turbo and clutch/dual mass flywheel fitted and I'm beginning to think I made a bad choice :(
Oh dear that does not sound promising!

Because it's not a Golf :whistle2:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Bandicoot51
Big factor the looks for me over the A4/S4. Wouldve been saloon though. Plus there were no LED headlight option for the A4 /S4 which is disappointing. Also it's the facelift of a 2008 model and the interior looks a wee bit dated compared to the 8V. I may look at the new model A4 when im due for a new car though.
I came from a mk5 golf GTI which is a bit bigger than the 8V S3 but it's mainly just me who drives it with a passenger not often a fully loaded car so not too bothered. I had that stage 2 at 270bhp and I'm looking forward to doing stage 1 APR on the S3 which is upwards of 350bhp.

Reactions: Abrown

I think that's just a bit of bad luck. All cars pass a quality control check which is very stringent. That being said parts do fail. Just hope that's the last of it for you!

Looks, performance, size (not too big), not over-stated and I wanted 4 exhaust pipes!

Size was the prime consideration, otherwise we would have stuck with our X5 which we usually only used at weekends and holidays. We needed something smaller as a daily driver for the school run and commuting due to my son's change of school.

The Golf came close but the A3 was much more configurable to get the spec we wanted and there was very little difference on price.

The A3 and the Golf just seemed to have the best blend of fuel economy, performance and refinement on a petrol car with an autobox compared to the competition.

I have a B8 A4 and find it a bit big, and I wish I hadn't bought a diesel.
I'm a saloon man and was looking for a spiritual successor to my B6 A4 S-Line, the S3 saloon fits the bill perfectly as its almost the same size, but far more powerful.
The new A4 will still be too big for me. I looked at the Merc C class, VW Golf R and was thinking of waiting for the Jag XE, but couldn't say I really wanted any of them.

Loved this, had it from new for 8 years
8449306562_b1efd44fc6_c.jpg

Till the wife did this
16286887981_3d3d19a14f_o.jpg

Needed a car so ended up with this
8448221777_cd36cc3c83_c.jpg

Dual Mass Flywheels are a common problem on the 2.0 TDI engines. I had mine done at 21,000 miles, clutch was wrecked also

Mainly the size, and the 2.0T engine. I didn't want a large car, but didn't want a mini or golf sized car. After comparing the GTI and the A3 really like the A3 because it had a proper trunk instead of the hatch. The A4 was just too old looking and had the old tech for me to really consider, plus the newer 2.0T engine had better gas mileage with higher HP/TQ numbers.

Dual Mass Flywheels are a common problem on the 2.0 TDI engines. I had mine done at 21,000 miles, clutch was wrecked also

Yeah, not to bothered about the problems, all sorted quickly enough, just annoyed that the bike if off the road too and so at 5:45am I'm stood at the bus stop in the rain trying to get to work.

I wanted something nice but not a large car. Looked at the a-class which I loved until I test drove it, very noisy and bhp/mpg weren't impressive for a 2.0. A big benefit to me was that lots of the options that I would of had to pay for were standard on the s line like dab and xenons allowing me to have more options on the a3.

I have a B8 A4 and find it a bit big, and I wish I hadn't bought a diesel.
I'm a saloon man and was looking for a spiritual successor to my B6 A4 S-Line, the S3 saloon fits the bill perfectly as its almost the same size, but far more powerful.
The new A4 will still be too big for me. I looked at the Merc C class, VW Golf R and was thinking of waiting for the Jag XE, but couldn't say I really wanted any of them.

Loved this, had it from new for 8 years
8449306562_b1efd44fc6_c.jpg

Till the wife did this
16286887981_3d3d19a14f_o.jpg

Needed a car so ended up with this
8448221777_cd36cc3c83_c.jpg

Sad story but great post!

Size (wife had a 2.0 TDi Avant and it was MASSIVE!), old technology and I am not 100% sold on the interior of the A4.

The only thing I'd have liked from the A4 to be available on the A3, would have been 19" rotors and the 3.0v6 supercharged engine.

Oh, and the A4 looks a bit errrrm old mannish ;)

Reactions: Zache and Abrown
A problem with my 1.4 COD as well it seems, replaced at under 5k miles, and I do not thrash the car.

Price, engine, quality and timing.
While not exactly my first choice of car, the exorbitant price of a new Mk3 TT and the wait for the new TTS to be released swang the S3 in my favour.
No disrespect to the S3 but it's just a "stop-gap" for me.

being an Ex Honda Civic owner i hated the new version and liked the look of the A3.