Seat/driving position

Mike597

Reaction score
I've noticed that I don't find the a3 driving position to be that comfortable. The seat feels to be uncomfortably low compared to the pedals and so the back of my knees I are off the seat causing fatigue in my legs quickly.
Previous to this I had a golf and it was a totally different position, pedals felt lower relative to the seat and was fine.
My other cars are not easily comparible I have an x5 which is like driving a big comfy sofa and a Porsche which is also low but very comfortable as well so leg strain there.

If I raise the seat up so my legs are more comfortable, my head hits the roof. It's like the pedals are basically positioned to high and angled wrongly.

I'm average sized, 5-10, am I missing something in the seat adjustment? It's getting to the point that whilst I love the engine and cabin, I might have to change it because i can't get comfortable. I've not done many really long drives yet and I'm not looking forward to the next one. In my other cars it's a bit a problem, owned a few golf's alway been fine... Any ideas?

Thinking about test driving the newer model, seeing if it's the same.

Seen a few threads commenting on the offset driving position, wondering if that's the problem I've just not identified it as such.

Its the awful seats.

Fit the S5 / A5 seats with adjustable leg support and electric lumbar and problem is solved.

The a3 seats are terrible, and its actually making me think about changing the car because of them!

you may well be right. what confuses me though is i switched a golf gt tdi 07 for an 09 audi a3 and everything else about the audi is leagues better, quieter, more refined, handles better, nicer interior, nicer exterior, even the key is nicer. Just the ****** seat. Oh well one other thing that frustrates me is the over-servo'd brakes, when I first get in the audi from driving one of my other cars I nearly put myself through the windscreen on the first braking.
Maybe it's because I'm driving this 3 times a week now and the golf I would barely drive from one week to the next so I'm just noticing it more. It's also not fair I suppose to compare it to two other cars that cost in xs of 50k new.
Originally I was going to buy an a4 but this a3 just popped up on autotrader near me for a very reasonable price and I snapped it up. I might have to look at a4s then see if they are any better for me.

Trust me, I am right.

The A5 interiors arent to expensive, and swapping the front seats isnt too bad and there are retro fitters than do it for decent money...my biggest bugbare is that by doing this the leather design is different, so the rear seat dosent match.

The reto fitter who lives near me wont fit the A5 rear seat as its tricky (but can be done)...so my only option is retrimming the centres of the front seats to match the A3 rear seats.

Or spend £1800 on buckets.

I find that on a long drive I get a really bad back no matter what position I put the seat in or the lumbar support adjusted. I'm only small but my mk4 golf felt fine. If I had the money I would probs have a5 seats but as funds are tight I'll just have to probs use a cushion ha

I find that on a long drive I get a really bad back no matter what position I put the seat in or the lumbar support adjusted. I'm only small but my mk4 golf felt fine. If I had the money I would probs have a5 seats but as funds are tight I'll just have to probs use a cushion ha

Im the same, theres no lumbar support in the A3 seats.

There have only ever been two seats that i have found perfect, Recaros in my old Mk2 Golf, and the seats in a Ford Mustang I owned in Florida, you could literally drive 1000 miles and not feel it at all.

But for now, as you said, cushions :)

My seats are electric and I have the usual up and down, forward backwards. Then I have something that does something to the middle of the back. I assumed that was lumbar support.

oh you are lucky, you have the optional extra electric lumbar support! I would love that!