VVT Tensioner

george_seamons

I'm on the naughty step
Reaction score
I have had a mysterious rattle at very light throttle between 2-3krpm for a long while now. Doesn't hurt performance, and isn't loud enough to be a big concern (its more of a light rattle than a knock).
I initially thought it was my DM rod bushes, but turns out it wasn't, because the noise is still there despite them being rebushed. I have also replaced the big end bearings, and the hydraulic tappets, after 2 fell apart during my strip down. Noise is still there though. Its 100% a top end noise, so have ruled out the crank bearings. Other than the VVT tensioner, I can't really see what else it can be?!

Having read something @Tuffty wrote about VVT tensioners from GSF, I thought I would take a gamble. I got a quite for £445 for a genuine unit, so figured I may as well try a cheaper one first (knowing full well to avoid the £100 ebay fakes). GSF had a 35% off day yesterday, so I ordered the VVT tensioner and the timing chain (figured I may as well replace that while its in bits) for £205 delivered, saving myself £110 with the discount.

Just wanted to see if what I got matched what Tuffty has, hence the thread. Has anybody else had any luck with the GSF tensioners? I figured if it was that bad I could just return it for a refund, GSF are normally pretty good for stuff like that!

IMG 0132

IMG 0133

IMG 0134

I had a genuine one from GSF that packed up. But I was lazy and never returned it. £180ish on trade a few years ago. Have you tried to listen where it's coming from or does it only happen when driving and not starionary?