S Tronic????

n3ldv

Reaction score
had my 2015 s3 for a month or so now and I don't know if the s Tronic is that smooth on start up has any one else got this problem? Also I had a play with the modes and when on efficient :wacko: (don't judge me) haha but when it drops the revs and then you put the throttle Back down it does kind of jump sometimes ...

I am judging this on the other half gtd mk7 which is really smooth

Hate economy for that exact reason, although I've come to hate all the automatic modes and drive mine in manual now. It does have some jerkiness, especially right at the beginning of the day on the first gear change.

+1 on above, pulling away for the first time, it does slightly "jerk" into gear, after that it's as good as gold.

I sent it in to Audi and they couldn't replicate. Did a whole gearbox reset and was fine for a bit but does it again now. I think there must be something wrong for it to do that but sounds like it's a common problem.

It did it on my GTi as well hence me being a staunch manual box guy now.

It's not the right thing but in full auto the car will be like that, what I did was use the GTI's stick as a trip tronic, that was allot more fun when I wanted it to be responsive and then full auto in pottering mode. The s-tronic gives you that choice to choose and have best of both worlds but like all things that offer you both there is a little compromise. Still it's a great car so don't stress it find a way around it.

That's exactly what I do. I drive in manual almost all the time, using either the paddles or the stick as a trip tronic. Much more flexible that way. Just wished it was a little smoother first thing as its one hell of a *thunk* that first gear change.

Don't forget it's heavily oil dependant, it needs to warm up too. I never tried but let it warm up and see it that helps. I never tried that.

Should add that the transmission has its own oil system separate from the engine, you need to get it changed at about 60k miles and wasn't cheap back when I needed to do mine on the GTI (c£400).

It's funny. If I reverse first and then go forward it doesn't seem to happen. Just if I go straight off and the first one is a thunk. I'm only 30k so no change required yet. Might need to find some better oil for the next change.

When I took delivery sales man told me it's a charecter of the car quite normal .Do hate the jerkiness pulling away in first.

It shouldn't be jerky.

On occasion (I think 4 or 5 in 10,000 miles) - when I notice the jerk - I ignition off, key out, and re-start again, it kinda re-initialises the gearbox and I then get smooth changes again

I'll give that a try ...when I jerky it's just a jerk when pulling away.

It's funny. If I reverse first and then go forward it doesn't seem to happen. Just if I go straight off and the first one is a thunk. I'm only 30k so no change required yet. Might need to find some better oil for the next change.
That's because reverse and first use the same selector fork, so the gearbox has to go from reverse to first very quickly which it was not expecting, so it sets off in second. If you give it a second stationary in when selecting D then it will set off I 1st.

Explained here:

Reactions: AL_B
That's because reverse and first use the same selector fork, so the gearbox has to go from reverse to first very quickly which it was not expecting, so it sets off in second. If you give it a second stationary in when selecting D then it will set off I 1st.

Explained here:

Not the same thing I was referring to. When I reverse it DOESN'T happen. We are talking about the change from first to second gear on first starting the car, particularly on cold mornings. Driving straight off the first gear change thunks. After that it's fine, including pulling away from standing.

Someone else said a dealer said it was character. It's not character the thunk I'm referring to, trust me. Aside from anything else it doesn't do it every time, just when its waking up. And it's nasty, not sporty. It's like it can't quite engage second gear for a split second.

Reactions: sunscreemer
The simple answer is no in my, our residential street is narrow, so the gear changes happen at less than 2000rpm, when cold (our version of cold anyway) and they are as smooth as when the engine has heated up.

Agree with the above - mines also very smooth when cold - I'd take it to another dealer for a second opinion.

Not the same thing I was referring to. When I reverse it DOESN'T happen. We are talking about the change from first to second gear on first starting the car, particularly on cold mornings. Driving straight off the first gear change thunks. After that it's fine, including pulling away from standing.

Someone else said a dealer said it was character. It's not character the thunk I'm referring to, trust me. Aside from anything else it doesn't do it every time, just when its waking up. And it's nasty, not sporty. It's like it can't quite engage second gear for a split second.
Oh yeah :keule:

I'll shut up now :3sadwalk:

Edit: mine is a bit weary to change to second when setting off from cold now I think about it, it's only done 500 miles though