Rust on wheel axle, is that normal?

saudi

Reaction score
My A3 is only 6 months old. The wheel axle around drum there is some rust. Is that normal? I have seen in older cars but this is only done 5k miles!

Attaching some pics...

Should I talk to dealer?

Attachments

• IMG_3270.JPG
    IMG_3270.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,184
  • IMG_3271.JPG
    IMG_3271.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 876
Yep , smooth hammerite is your friend.

When changing any discs I always pre paint before fitting .

This has happened to me as well. It looks awful! I used a wire brush to clean the axles up and they looked great. Didn't last very long though and the rust came back worse. So I took the wheels off again and cleaned. Then smothered in multi purpose grease £4.99 from Halfords and so far it's doing the trick! Not sure how long before I have to reapply though

Wiped mine with ACF50 when my was car a day old - 14 months on and no sign of rust whatsoever!

Thanks all, I will try the dealer..

So I took the wheels off again and cleaned. Then smothered in multi purpose grease £4.99 from Halfords and so far it's doing the trick!
That sounds a VERY dangerous thing to do anywhere near the braking surfaces. The grease will tend to migrate onto the discs when it gets warm and that could have extremely dangerous implications. I'd really reconsider what you've done here and strip all the grease off!

happens every car right from a citroen c1 to lamborghini's .. i wouldn't be worrying.

Its only (porous) undercoat they use so as mentioned smoothrite, I did mine the day after I collected it. Seems pretty standard amongst most manufacturers

Noticed it on mine pretty early on. Probably before 6K miles. Doesn't really bother me, mine isn't that easily noticeable.

It looks like they've started painting them at the factory on 2015 cars?

These are mine:

2ilftir.jpg