Stage 2+ intercooler

Ben shults

Reaction score
Is the standard s3 8p3 intercooler man enough for the job?

Cheers, is anyone on here running stage 2+ on standard cooler? Interested in figures and intake temps, I'd be getting custom map from r tech anyway so he'd make nessacery adjustments

Search bud, this has been done to the death. But basically in a nutshell if you have the intercooler from the facelift with the plastic end tanks, then it would benefit from an upgrade. The pre facelift cooler is better but even that can still benefit from an upgrade. Recommended coolers include, wager, pro alloy etc etc. Loads of info if you search.

I'm running standard inter cooler. As above tho, you will benefit on hot days but it's negligible really unless you tracking your car a lot imo.
It's a nice to have!

My figures are in my sig btw

As with anything on a turbo car improved cooling will net more horsepower. Bigger and less restrictive piping will also improve flow meaning better results.

Your standard intercooler will cope just fine with stage2+ but an upgrade will mean more horsepower :)

Intercoolers dont have specs other than dimensions, I'd go with experience.

Ideally you'd get one that;
-reduces the temp
-does not restrict flow

How well it does these is hard to measure, price vs design vs branding.

Reactions: S3Alex
Bigger is not always better, as often bigger pipework and a larger core can result in more lag. I'm running St2+ on the std (alloy) intercooler and it cools perfectly well - I can't see any reason why you would need to upgrade unless your IAT's are high due to running too much boost and / or tracking the car.

Reactions: Ben2487 and S3Alex
@ nooone and nluk100

Both spot on.
It's often difficult to be sure you know what you're getting and some aftermarket products are no better than the OEM offering.

The other point about pipe work and core volume is equally important and to offset that using rigid piping as far as possible will help to an extent.

I never noticed more lag as a result of moving to a ProAlloy intercooler despite it having the largest core volume and frontal area of all but their products are aimed at the custom and race markets.

At Stg2+ I simply didn't need that.

Reactions: Veedubnoodle