handling or power first??

h12wck

Reaction score
hi guys just signed back up as i sold my old s3 *8l as i had nothing but problems and got a fabia vrs... what a mistake that was, but after abit of saving i got myself back in the seat of a newer s3 8p and love it.
but as you do i'm wanting to do some mods to it already but cant decide where to start.

i want to get a full miltek for it and a map. but then again i want it to go round corners like its on rails so was thinking spacers and arbs.

whats your thoughts???

Attachments

• audi s3.jpg
    audi s3.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 182
I went Intake > Stage 1 > Coils + ARB's + Poly. > DP + HPFP + RS4 FPR > Stage 2+ > Brakes > Clutch (inevitable!)

I loved the suspension mods - probably more than the power increases but the combination makes the car insanely sure footed and quick on b roads

S3 Dampers are under damped massively for attacking driving and the brakes show their weakness if you drive hard at stage 2+.

The difference between stage 1 and 2 is not great. Stage 2+ is new clutch territory. If i had to choose I would say Stage 1 with coils hands down.

Good to hear S3_Mat -I'm planning stage 1 and coils when I finally find one.

Like the sound of sure footed on b roads.. Very nice roads local to me. I don't want to go too much power wise just want to get just the other side of 300bhp as it's 271 now. All I've done is bmc panel filter and and the red coilpacks.

Id prob go with the remap first mate. Stage 1 doesnt need a TBE so you wont have that cost. Or go with the TBE and intake an just shoot for stage 2 straight away. Id go coilovers straight after that. But it really is whatever you place most emphasis on. But I think the stage 1 remap is def required ASAP!

My course was similar.
Stg1 then kW v3 coil overs plus ARBs
Stg2 and 2+
New clutch
Stg3
Stg4
New clutch(Spec 3+)
Uprated bushes
ALK
Then kW Clubsport.

Handling upgrades allow you to make the most of the extra power.
Don't forget brakes.

So would every one say brake upgrade at 2+?

My car begs for new set of coils... I thinks coils are a very wise choice at Stage 2, Stage 1 can still be ok yet the suspension itself even with stock power is pants.

Reactions: perazzi
So would every one say brake upgrade at 2+?

My own feeling was that the stock brakes were very marginal at Stg2+

I like having plenty in reserve and never got that feeling from the stock setup and also found I fried the pads on an uprated system at Stg3.

It's a heavy car and needs good fade free brakes in my opinion.

Reactions: Sandra and S3 AEX
I would say get the handling sorted first then it will handle after the extra power. That's just my personal opinion of course :) x

Reactions: S3_Mat and S3Alex
I would say get the handling sorted first then it will handle after the extra power. That's just my personal opinion of course :) x

Totally agree.

Handling over outright power any time!

(Not that power is a bad thing of course )

Reactions: Sandra
hi guys just signed back up as i sold my old s3 *8l as i had nothing but problems and got a fabia vrs... what a mistake that was, but after abit of saving i got myself back in the seat of a newer s3 8p and love it.
but as you do i'm wanting to do some mods to it already but cant decide where to start.

i want to get a full miltek for it and a map. but then again i want it to go round corners like its on rails so was thinking spacers and arbs.

whats your thoughts???

Your s3 was black and based around Plymouth right?

New s3 is a nice bright colour, won't be losing that one in a car park any time soon!

Stage 2 (dump pipe), then coilovers.
After that, see how it feels.

I don't have a S3 but my logic says handling then some more power, then maybe more handling and more power.

What's the point of having loads of power if you cr4p yourself anytime you go near the loud pedal because you can't stick it to the road?

Reactions: S3Alex
Absolutely.

If you don't have the handling and brakes,you simply can't use the power,other than in straight lines.

Reactions: Sayam
Absolutely.

If you don't have the handling and brakes,you simply can't use the power,other than in straight lines.
So other than laying out for a big brake set up what's the best way to improve the braking Alex? Discs/pads other than oem ones? Or just save for the ttrs callipers?

Will RS3 disks and callipers fit behind the standard 18" wheels or are TTRS better ? Read somewhere that the offset is different

I find the standard S3 brakes to be more than adequate for fast road use, with ceramic Hawk pads.
On mine I just put Eibach coils on the front an an R32 rear bar. Tightened it up nicely. Front Shocks are ok but could be a little bit firmer on compression but I reckon the car can still outdrive me.
Amazing how much quicker you can go with an advanced driving ticket under your belt too.

Reactions: S3 AEX
I find the standard S3 brakes to be more than adequate for fast road use, with ceramic Hawk pads.
On mine I just put Eibach coils on the front an an R32 rear bar. Tightened it up nicely. Front Shocks are ok but could be a little bit firmer on compression but I reckon the car can still outdrive me.
Amazing how much quicker you can go with an advanced driving ticket under your belt too.
Was the rear bar from the mk5 R32 @Bazzle?

My course was similar.
Stg1 then kW v3 coil overs plus ARBs
Stg2 and 2+
New clutch
Stg3
Stg4
New clutch(Spec 3+)
Uprated bushes
ALK
Then kW Clubsport

Handling upgrades allow you to make the most of the extra power.
Don't forget brakes.
DSG conversion
needed to fix that for you

Just ordered the eibach kit £95 from Germany, good price I think

I've only got some springs and lightweight alloys.. Cars handles awesome with the power I have, brakes are ok for fast-road use, maybe upgrade to the RS3 Setup if you were going to track the car.

Just got the rear rr32 anti roll bar £65 from tps, that's sorted that then for me

I just ordered H&R Arbs front and rear for £296 :)
Should be here by end of the month... happy days! Hope this will make a massive difference like people say it does :)

Mines a lot harsher now tbh since I've put the Bilstien B14s on! If I'm going high speed, and I hit an uneven bit of road, I feel like I'm gona hit the subframe underneath on the floor and the car seems unstable! Was hoping the arbs will sort this out a bit...?

Seems brilliant on straight roads but uneven roads can be a nightmare it seems!

If I'm honest no body drives on the roads like a race driver, if you do your a ****. The smallest an simplest mods are prob the best for road driving. If you track your car then yes spend the money an make it to what you want and expect on the track. On the roads the car is set up for what you need and what it should be but yes we all want more, it boils down to the person behind the wheel wether you'r stg1 or more with mods doesn't matter what bhp your car is its you that's behind the wheel..

Reactions: S3Alex, Compkiler and Mario8P
If I'm honest no body drives on the roads like a race driver, if you do your a ****. The smallest an simplest mods are prob the best for road driving. If you track your car then yes spend the money an make it to what you want and expect on the track. On the roads the car is set up for what you need and what it should be but yes we all want more, it boils down to the person behind the wheel wether you'r stg1 or more with mods doesn't matter what bhp your car is its you that's behind the wheel..
Well said brother

Well said brother
Have you spoke to Rick yet Mario regards your tuning? I'm booked in on the 6th June for 2+. I'm going to fit my pump tomorrow and then fit my ARB and eibach front springs when they arrive.

Have you spoke to Rick yet Mario regards your tuning? I'm booked in on the 6th June for 2+. I'm going to fit my pump tomorrow and then fit my ARB and eibach front springs when they arrive.
Yes mate. He already baked 2 files for me now. Sent him some logs couple of days ago am waiting for him to get back to me.

I asked him if I can try a linear map when we finish. As I'd like to try it out.

He also stated that I should get my stock cat-back replaced
Ordered myself a milltek resonated cat back as am running a catless and non resonated 3" downpipe.

Yes mate. He already baked 2 files for me now. Sent him some logs couple of days ago am waiting for him to get back to me.

I asked him if I can try a linear map when we finish. As I'd like to try it out.

He also stated that I should get my stock cat-back replaced
Ordered myself a milltek resonated cat back as am running a catless and non resonated 3" downpipe.
All good, I saw how your car sits and that made my mind up to get the eibach's..

Reactions: Mario8P
Hmmm do I have to upgrade the tie bars or new bushes when putting on the arbs btw?

That's very true.

Has to be said though that I've seen better manners on a rallycross track than from some of the buffoons on the road recently.

Depends on what your goals are but let's assume your goal is to get from a to b quickest and that's a reasonably windy route. If that's the case the best upgrades can be had from (in order) nut behind the wheel, brakes, handling, power. I've seen a many a car on track lap quicker than supposedly 'faster' cars simply because of a better driver. Better brakes are an hugely underrating improvement in making quicker progress. More power is great but if you can't harness it or stop it's not going to do much other than perhaps win you the odd traffic light grand prix with the odd corsa. Woo.

Reactions: S3Alex
Depends on what your goals are but let's assume your goal is to get from a to b quickest and that's a reasonably windy route. If that's the case the best upgrades can be had from (in order) nut behind the wheel, brakes, handling, power. I've seen a many a car on track lap quicker than supposedly 'faster' cars simply because of a better driver. Better brakes are an hugely underrating improvement in making quicker progress. More power is great but if you can't harness it or stop it's not going to do much other than perhaps win you the odd traffic light grand prix with the odd corsa. Woo.

Nicely put too....my track experience is very limited,and I can remember being one of the fastest things in a straight line,but lacking all sorts of confidence to punt it into a bend.
The pads also got fried after about 6 or 7 laps and that didn't help my confidence levels either.....seeing the speed AMD's old Golf BTTC car could carry through bends was amazing.