Fitting saloon seats in an Avant

Blue_Thunder

Reaction score
Sold my saloon seats to a pleasant chap today and he asked if I could fit them. No problem, said I. It had only taken me about 20 mins to fit my seats recently... but I didn't realise how much more could be involved fitting saloon seats in an avant.

First off, the bracket for the 60/40 split needed to move over about 20mm. I managed to kill my fake Dremel after years of faithful service. Then I snapped a drill bit. My hacksaw was blunt. Managed to get two bolts in, so at least the seats would fit.

Went to remove the avant latch pegs, but managed to round one of the hex bits completely, so was stuck with one.

Then the fun bit... The avant seats had a 3rd seatbelt instead of a lap-strap. No problem... Cut that off.

But oh sugarlumps... The seatbelt pretensioner now disconnected means the airbag light went on. Being a smartarse, I cut the cable going into the old rear seat, connected the wires and looked smug. Reset the airbag light with Vagcom and... Resistance too low. ******!!!

So the poor guy waited round for nearly two hours whilst I fannied about, and he still left with the airbag light on.

I've suggested he rips the pretensioner out of the seat and connects it up, but ideally a resistor would be a neater option. Anyone know what sort of resistor is needed for the middle rear pretensioner??

Could you measure the resistance across the pretensioner and get the correct ohm resister then?

Pretty sure you can change coding to cancel the middle pre tensioner. The same airbag Ecu is used in saloons and avants