What cold air intake to go for?

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
I'm getting bored waiting for my car so I decided to plan the upgrades for the car from now.

There are lots of choices out there and was hoping someone could help me pick the right one.

Looks don't matter at all. I want the highest performance intake under 500$ that may alter the engine sound without changing it too much.

Any ideas?

I'm getting bored waiting for my car so I decided to plan the upgrades for the car from now.

There are lots of choices out there and was hoping someone could help me pick the right one.

Looks don't matter at all. I want the highest performance intake under 500$ that may alter the engine sound without changing it too much.

Any ideas?

I had the Evoms intake on my 8P S3, it was brilliant.

Not sure if they do one for the 8V though

Going for VWR
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431985169869631
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431985202085212

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431985184.066492.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431985184.066492.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 460
I've got standard intake with an open cone. Sounds great but suffers from heat soak of stationary with engine running. Ordering an APR carbon In take this week.

I put VWR intake. It's awesome !! Very responsive, punchier and sounds great

I have the vwr r600 also. With stage 1 tune it makes it slightly more responsive and sounds great with soundaktor switched off!
My tuner is APR/VWR dealer and most have the VWR on their cars. Dyno I've seen showed 8kw increase on hub dyno over stage 1 and lower power and torque increase bringing power 200-300 rpm sooner.
I like it as has the dual intake and changed air flow path for direct flow that most others don't.

Yes. It's a well built kit.
Can you share how you switched soundaktor off permanently?

I had soundaktor switched off using vcds cable, my tuner just set level to zero. Took about 2 min.

It does make the engine/exhaust quieter but now with the intake it's a very nice smooth turbo induction sound from 2000rpm. As revs get up the exhaust sound raises.

so which intake is better? and how much are each

i had the revo intake on my s3 8p and it was great, its listed on demon tweeks website

An intake is first on my list of things to buy whilst I wait for delivery for my S3!

Looking on here and many other forums, I think I'll be going for the R600!

@Hdobson there is a thread on a mk7gti forum and a guy has compared the two.

I would remap and get a downpipe before considering the intake.

<--- has APR intake

I would remap and get a downpipe before considering the intake.

<--- has APR intake

Then surely you'd need other hardware for the stage 2 map...

Unless a stg1 can be adjusted to suit the downpipe and eml that'd show.

I've had the apr one and hated how it looked in the engine bay, think I'll go for the R one.. Just wish they made one that didn't have a massive r on the top.. Plain would be great

A air intake would invalidate a warranty the same way a downpipe would!

I have the APR intake, the reason I choose it was two fold, 1. Woven cotton filter 2. Lightweight (weights under 2kg). The R600 Intake looks nice and OEM however its horses for courses, it has a much wider air intake due to it have a massive filter and the filter is made out of foam. Foam is better for performance but bad for the car as it can't stop dirt as well as woven cotton as used by K&N, BMC, AWE, APR etc. A pic of my setup....

Attachments

• WP_20150416_001.jpg
    WP_20150416_001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 682
I have the APR intake, the reason I choose it was two fold, 1. Woven cotton filter 2. Lightweight (weights under 2kg). The R600 Intake looks nice and OEM however its horses for courses, it has a much wider air intake due to it have a massive filter and the filter is made out of foam. Foam is better for performance but bad for the car as it can't stop dirt as well as woven cotton as used by K&N, BMC, AWE, APR etc. A pic of my setup....

Is this based for which facts that R600 can't stop dirt as well as woven cotton?

This is from VWR website. Are they lying?:
The R600 domed intake filter unit itself is constructed from a TriFoam™ triple-layer laminate of open-cell polyurethane foam, which gives an exceptionally high level of filtration to protect the engine from contaminants in the air down to well below 5 microns, whilst not greatly restricting airflow.

This exact same filter material has been used by F1 teams around the world due to its excellent filtration and airflow properties. In our experience, cheaper (and single-layer) foam filter materials are simply unable to deliver the same flow and filtration meaning a potentially very risky compromise for your engine.

think the apr one just looks a bit out of place to be honest, anyone seen the r600 for under £369 ?

I've had the apr one and hated how it looked in the engine bay, think I'll go for the R one.. Just wish they made one that didn't have a massive r on the top.. Plain would be great
Time to get the dremel out?!..lol

Have been looking at installation guide etc for the vwr r600. On the intake it has 2 sets of holes for air intake, What i didn't realise is the standard intake only has 1 set of holes in the left hand side of the intake, out of line of filter. Would it not be of benefit to put holes directly in line with filter?. Possible DIY job to add the holes and save few hundred quid..?..

Ps. I am a relative newbie to tuning etc so don't shoot me down in flames for the above DIY comment. Haha

Is this based for which facts that R600 can't stop dirt as well as woven cotton?

This is from VWR website. Are they lying ?.

Who knows, all I know is that foam has never been good for longevity on engines, especially when I paying for it. IMO is seems that if woven cotton is want the top filter brand use I am sure they do this for a reason. Btw an intake adds a slightly quicker spool time to the turbo, you don't need it, I mean how much faster do you want to get down to the kebab shop anyway? Save your money. The downpipe is where the power is at.

Who knows, all I know is that foam has never been good for longevity on engines, especially when I paying for it. IMO is seems that if woven cotton is want the top filter brand use I am sure they do this for a reason. Btw an intake adds a slightly quicker spool time to the turbo, you don't need it, I mean how much faster do you want to get down to the kebab shop anyway? Save your money. The downpipe is where the power is at.
I already have the catback And if i go full system im suppose to get stage 2....

Who knows, all I know is that foam has never been good for longevity on engines, especially when I paying for it..

70 000 miles on foam filters here.
50 000 of that at over 400bhp.

Engine seems to be OK.....how much longevity were you thinking of?

Reactions: Fastgun and AndyB-S3
70 000 miles on foam filters here.
50 000 of that at over 400bhp.

Engine seems to be OK.....how much longevity were you thinking of?

Nice one Alex, great case study....i reckon its all 70k is clocking up nicely, I guess if you take car and service the car and filters properly you wont have an issue. I have seen people with foam having dirt into the turbo and causing issues due to poor maintenance. Guess that thinking that be aligned to any implementation, foam or cotton.

Reactions: S3Alex
think the apr one just looks a bit out of place to be honest, anyone seen the r600 for under £369 ?

Less intake = more area for air = cooler engine = potential better performance?

I already have the catback And if i go full system im suppose to get stage 2....

If you have a stage 1, the DP will work without issues, Stage 2 software just optimises the Torque curve and response. You will get extra NM but not much extra KW. Stage 1 is the best bang for buck. The main advantage of a DP is better throttle response. The BCS and Miltek DP have been tested and work with Stage 1. You could wait for the APR DP and get the Stage 2 software free however the APR DP pricing has not been released yet. You can however buy the software separately for a couple hundred I believe.

Nice one Alex, great case study....i reckon its all 70k is clocking up nicely, I guess if you take car and service the car and filters properly you wont have an issue. I have seen people with foam having dirt into the turbo and causing issues due to poor maintenance. Guess that thinking that be aligned to any implementation, foam or cotton.

I think that's the point.
If you don't look after the filters,foam or cotton,they get clogged or damaged,and then the problems follow.

Foam is particularly prone to being crushed or abraided,and that does need to be watched.