Water seems to be trapped in bottom of front door seal

Rhencullen1989

190 S LINE QUATTRO
Reaction score
Hi there, as my heading, I have a 55 plate cabriolet, whilst cleaning it the other day I ran some Crytox seal lubricant over my door seals and noticed the front door seal was holding water as I ran my fingers along it, there are 2 drain holes I can see but the water is not coming out of these, I even pushed a small length of drinking straw into the holes in case I was collapsing them trying to get the water out!

I would guess it's one of those double gutter seals, but how do I remove the water, really don't want to cut the seal as this could lead to its own issues!!!

Sorted this, yes it does have a double gutter, the outer one has 2 drain holes, one at the front and one at the back, the inner one does not have drain holes, so obviously water is not expected to congregate in this area.

I did not want to cut into the seal, so I used a very sharp scriber with one end bent at 90 degrees. I carefully pushed it through the original drain hole at the rear of the seal and made a small cut into the membrane separating the 2 gutter channels, at this point a lot of water rushed out, I kept the scriber in the hole and run my fingers along the seal a couple of times to coax all the water out.

Repeated on the other side seal. Job done!!