Scratch advice?

SamR92

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just noticed a scratch almost right in the centre of my roof on my two month old car - I can feel it with my nail, so slightly worried it'll rust if not treated quickly.

Any advice on what to do? the car is still new so I don't really want to have to get it machine polished etc, or use a touch up pen, and it's not the easiest part to reach.

Any thoughts?

Scratch

Cheers
Sam

If you don't want a machine polish or touch up pen, something like autoglym super resin polish will hide it a little on a non permanent basis, but you'd ideally want it machine polished / touch up to fully remove it

Looks like a surface scratch to me, maybe the sort as if something gritty has been rubbed across the paintwork. I'm sure some of the detailing experts on here can advise but it looks to me as if it would polish out. Absolutely wouldn't use a touch up pen on something like that.

Looks like it's just in the lacquer so will polish out, try Megs scratch remover then polish with Megs swirl remover then some polish.

Thanks guys - I tried SRP just after posting, and it's less visible now. I'll get some scratch x and give that a go too. I guess it just worries me that it'll rust as I can feel it with my nail. The actual scratch I could just about live with, but if it rusted I'd go crazy

Not a fan of ScratchX. Been using G3 Scratch remover on wife's car and it's way more effective. Even more so with a DA. Just remember to seal the paint after you polish it. The G3 stuff has hand polishing pads to take stuff out and to finish it off.

It won't rust don't worry it's just on the lacquer coat and I'm pretty sure a DA polisher and light cutting paste for swirl removal will remove 90% of it.

I used SRP and it gets most stuff out. I'm considering buying a DA just for the use of scratch removal with SRP. I don't fancy using any harch cutting compounds if I don't have to.

SRP won't take anything out. It masks the scratch or swirl. It has no cutting ability whatsoever. It's full of fillers.

Is that a good thing or bad?!?! If it makes the scratch vanish without thinning the paint!!! Obviously it's not going to last if it's a filler...but if you polish the car often...:positive:

I do a full detail once a year and that's the only time polish touches my car. The rest of the time it's washed and wax/sealant topped up. I will do scratch repairs when the need arises (hopefully not too often) but that's it. SRP is a great product for ease and quickness if your car is in top nick. I always have a bottle in the garage. The new formula is better as it leaves no white residue.

I've got some Poorboys Black Hole on it's way tomorrow...that gets good reviews so will be interesting to see how that shapes up. Having black is a pain for marks showing, but it does look nice clean.

Poorboys Black Hole on my old Insignia. Great product. It's a sort of product to use before sealing or waxing. It's not very protective on its own.

I'm off all week so plenty of time and an excuse to wax after use ;)