Sat Nav Journey Time req.

amalething03

Reaction score
Hello

I've been in touch with Audi about this enquiry, and they're no help.

I have the A3(8V) with pop-up MMI. On screen it tells me my ETA, e.g. 18:22, and the current time e.g. 17:48. But what I really want to know if how much time of the journey is remaining, such as 34mins till arrival.

This seems such an obvious requirement, yet my DIS displays plenty of useless information when in SatNav mode such as; total odometer, distance since last service, outside temp., etc.. But my partner doesn't want to hear, "I'll be home in 8 miles", when she calls or "let me just work that one out", before lifting the MMI and completing some rudimentary time calculations!

Is there another option to bring this information on screen?

I would just say "I'll be home at 25 past 6"
Not sure I really care how long i'll be in the car, but more worried about what time I'll get there at...

I appreciate your input for ETA, but when I set off, similarly I don't care if I arrive at 15:30. I do however care if the journey is going to take 55min, much longer than anticipated.

What's more, is that to appreciate the relevance of 15:30, one much know the current time (requiring the MMI to pop-up), otherwise it might at well read 78:63. Arrival time is only useful if you require to arrive at xx:xx time, such as for work. I regularly drive 90miles to Manchester up the M6. All I want to know (along with the kids) is "how long until we arrive?"!

I first saw a thread someone was referring to the ETA giving incorrect read outs, showing an image of their display. Theirs had the elusive time till arrive.
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/sat-nav-display-what-do-these-figures-mean.236391/

If you regularly drive the 90 mile journey to Manchester surely you should know how long it's going to take already??

I'm not sure if it's possible to change the features but by the looks of the linked page it doesn't seem wholly accurate so a quick glance at your watch and ETA must be easily enough to work out?........

If you regularly drive the 90 mile journey to Manchester surely you should know how long it's going to take already??

....a quick glance at your watch and ETA must be easily enough to work out?........

True, but I'm not always departing and arriving at the same place and time, nor calculating the time delay of traffic. I own a car, not a bus :bus: otherwise I'd have bought a timetable instead.

I do appreciate your comments, but to be fair and I don't mean to be rude, I'm still seeking a solution.

Its really one of the most basic features of a SatNav. I've never come across one that didn't tell me the time till arrive. I could work out the miles till arrival, or work out the distance remaining. I could probably work out my altitude if I bought another device to give me that reading. Or heck, buy a road map! But my point is really, I expect my SatNav to give me all this information. Which someone else in another thread has pictured.

I'll have to press all the options again in the menu. btw, I don't have the Google / Tech pack. Just the basic Sport package with Nav.

Its really one of the most basic features of a SatNav. I've never come across one that didn't tell me the time till arrive.

Well, my old Garmin hasn't got this function, so I don't think it's a universally adopted function. As I don't really need this function when using my SD Nav, I'm afraid I can't help you.

I've had Binatone, Navigon, TomTom and briefly tried using Google Maps via Bluetooth, all had this feature on the main screen. I find it really helpful.
I'm inclined to do a poll just to see if its just me that uses it.

I currently use a TomTom unit and it tells me how much time is left before I reach my destination and my ETA.

SD navy is just a bit lacking and not sure I'd spec it again. TBH, only reason I did is because I have that button to toggle. Because it's there, I do use it but the iPhone Tom Tom app is loads better I think. Would just be a pain with the power lead and placing the phone. For £500, next time I'll suffer it maybe but then remains that flipping button!!