Ignition pos 3 now does nothing after smoke

Squirrelofdoom

Reaction score
Hello,

Battery went flat, so I've been trickle charging it back up to full over the past few days.

Put it back into the car just now and went to fire the car up. It basically cranked one turn, and then stopped dead. I had the bonnet up still, and I say a brief puff of smoke coming from the right hand side of the engine bay (looking from the front of the car).

I didn't get around to the engine bay in time to see where it came from. After that, ignition pos 1 and 2 are fine - all electronics turn on, radio etc etc. But pos 3 does nothing at all.

I replaced the three 30A green fuses on the battery, and checked the flat fuses there and everything seems ok. But now the car doesn't even attempt to turn over - position 3 just does nothing at all.

Am I looking for another fuse, or...?

Thanks!

Am starting to this this could be the starter motor's not getting any power after something short circuited? Is there a fuse for the starter solenoid or should I be looking at the cabling itself?

It's the puff of smoke I saw that is worrying me really :S

Does indeed, but can't think what would have shorted under the hood simply from re-fitting the battery...

Think I'll have to take the battery out and inspect the starter, see if anything has obviously gone - I'm thinking coil +ve somehow fried...no idea how though

So, looks like the earth strap for the starter blew in half :S Guess it was getting pretty corroded and now finally gave up!

Question is, given that this is welded onto the body at one end, what're my options for fixing? Can I get a cable with a couple crimped ends and connect it somewhere else on the body - is there a bolt free anywhere?

I just can't believe the earth strap going would mean the need for a new starter entirely - wonder what others have done who have suffered this!

Thanks

Eeefef

hi

the corroded strap issue is quite common on US/Canadian cars, more salt in the winter I think

there are some good repair threads on tdiclub,
essentially you are correct, a cable with a couple of crimped end will do the trick

Thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but one end of the strap isn't actually crimped to anything, it's welded to the body of the motor?

I have this sneaking feeling that its a main power lead, not the earth, I need to go read some threads on tdiclub to refresh my memory

anyways, a good vehicle electrical shop that repairs starter should be able to fix it
/m

here you go

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=256705

I'm pretty sure that's the 12v feed from the switched side of the solenoid to the brushbox, note how the terminal into the starter is all surrounded by rubber, wouldn't need to do that if it was earth potential

so the wire with two lugs will work, one onto the bottom solenoid terminal, the other onto the lug where the braid used to go

Yeah, indeed, it's that braided wire that went (the one in the tdi thread that he replaced with the copper sheet).

I was hoping to do this without having to remove the starter motor :S Don't see how I'll connect to the brushings with just a crimp terminal, will need to be soldered on / screwed on like in the tdi thread, right?

yep, needs to bolted on

i'd take the starter out, it'll be a lot easier

and don't forget to disconnect battery, the starter lead is permanently live
its fused, but still a big bang if you short it, and lots of bits of hot metal falling down, if you happen to be underneath at the time, it hurts, I know this.........

Lol, battery already disconnected :) Bah, well, looks like kerbside mechanics then. Need to get at the starter from underneath don't you in order to get it out?

yep
if you do a search for clutch change procedures, there's usually a good description of how to get starter out

well, that was fun...not. The bottom bolt was really seized in there with zero spanner wiggle room. Either way, got it out and replaced the starter (Forgot I had one lying around) and now she fires up great :)