New S4 Avant - "at Port of Exit"

silentbrown

Reaction score
Well, my car's actually been built now, and hopefully will be on the boat before too long.

It's been a long wait since I placed the order in mid Feb, and rather than keep piggy-backing on every other owner-to-be's wait thread, I reckoned it was time to start my own.

My current car's a B8 A4 2.0TFSI quattro so in some ways this is a minor upgrade of 'only' 50% in engine size and power. I've had the car for three and a half years, and even the oil consumption issues haven't tainted the driving and ownership 'experience'.

Right, here's the spec :)

Daytona Grey S4 Avant 'Nav' 3.0 S-Tronic

Options, in no particular order:-
  • Parking System Advanced
  • AMI
  • Audi Connect
  • Audi Drive Select
  • quattro Sports Diff
  • Storage Pack
  • High Beam Assist
  • Carbon Atlas inlays
  • Heated Seats front and rear
  • Hill Hold Assist
  • Convenience Pack (driver memory seat + powerfold mirrors)
  • Five year warranty
Some options (satnav, convenience pack and HHA) are there because my current B8 A4 had them by chance, and I now can't imagine doing without. Audi Connect is there because I'm a geek at heart, and it's a toy I'll probably use.

The intention is for a 'subtly understated' look. I'd rather it was mistaken for a 2.0TDI than an RS4. Not a Black Edition as I don't like tints and the 19" wheels would be a liability on the roads here. Carbon atlas trims are the only concession to bling!

It will be my 'daily driver' doing around 15K a year on everything from school runs to business trips and taking the dog for a walk.

Plans for the future: Drive it whenever I can, mostly. Wash it when the rear number-plate becomes illegible or the amount of mud in the wheelarches takes the edge off the performance. Oh, and I'm going to need a set of winter wheels and tyres.

Photos WILL appear when the car does :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound, scotty76 and Keef
So hopefully not long now until it arrives! Great spec, I almost didn't go with the black edition because of the rear tints but in the end it was slightly more expensive to spec up the non black to the level that I wanted so the tints are in. The five year warranty seems like a good deal if the plan is to keep the car for a while. The carbon atlas will look great - cant wait to see some pictures.

[QUOTE="NickW_S4, post: 2485188, member: 104330" The five year warranty seems like a good deal if the plan is to keep the car for a while.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Normally I avoid extended warranties on ANYTHING like the plague, but this was too good a deal to miss. The warranty was discounted by the same percentage as the rest of the options (about 14%), and warranty on an S4 is the same price as on a poverty-spec A4 diesel!

I tend to keep cars for around 4 years, but I have a feeling this one will be longer.

Reactions: scotty76
Looking good @silentbrown. It's just occurred to me, weren't you BW22? If so, then you should still be a week ahead of me, even though the beta tracking site is showing us at the same stage. I might ring Customer Services today to see of mine is "at port of exit" or "stuck on a train in sidings just outside Osnabruck"! :yes:

Reactions: silentbrown
very nice spec :) cant wait to see it. Mine is a BW26 so still waiting :(

Thanks. Normally I avoid extended warranties on ANYTHING like the plague, but this was too good a deal to miss. The warranty was discounted by the same percentage as the rest of the options (about 14%), and warranty on an S4 is the same price as on a poverty-spec A4 diesel!

I tend to keep cars for around 4 years, but I have a feeling this one will be longer.

I tend to keep for 4 years as well which is why I added year 4 warranty. Didn't seem a bad price.

Glad I didn't get a BE as having just taken a chunk out my alloy the cost to repair would have been even worse.

Look forward to seeing some pics when it lands.

It slipped from 22 to 26, then back to 24 - which is the week we're in now. So I think we'll likely be on the same boat..
I think you're right. My car's at port of exit too (Emden). Although, they'll only be on the same boat if yours is going to Sheerness.

Reactions: Sandra
Sounds good guys. Looking forward to some excellent pictures from you all.:) x

Mine was at the port for around 4--5 days i think so not long till they are sea bound. Just spoke to the dealer and as i was speaking to him a transporter turned up, But my luck its full of Q3's grrrrrr Enjoy the wait guys almost there :D

Maybe we could get Jezza to tow them over the North Sea with his Toyboata. He's at a loose end right now.

Reactions: Lastkill21
Well, my car's actually been built now, and hopefully will be on the boat before too long.

It's been a long wait since I placed the order in mid Feb, and rather than keep piggy-backing on every other owner-to-be's wait thread, I reckoned it was time to start my own.

My current car's a B8 A4 2.0TFSI quattro so in some ways this is a minor upgrade of 'only' 50% in engine size and power. I've had the car for three and a half years, and even the oil consumption issues haven't tainted the driving and ownership 'experience'.

Right, here's the spec :)

Daytona Grey S4 Avant 'Nav' 3.0 S-Tronic

Options, in no particular order:-
  • Parking System Advanced
  • AMI
  • Audi Connect
  • Audi Drive Select
  • quattro Sports Diff
  • Storage Pack
  • High Beam Assist
  • Carbon Atlas inlays
  • Heated Seats front and rear
  • Hill Hold Assist
  • Convenience Pack (driver memory seat + powerfold mirrors)
  • Five year warranty
Some options (satnav, convenience pack and HHA) are there because my current B8 A4 had them by chance, and I now can't imagine doing without. Audi Connect is there because I'm a geek at heart, and it's a toy I'll probably use.

The intention is for a 'subtly understated' look. I'd rather it was mistaken for a 2.0TDI than an RS4. Not a Black Edition as I don't like tints and the 19" wheels would be a liability on the roads here. Carbon atlas trims are the only concession to bling!

It will be my 'daily driver' doing around 15K a year on everything from school runs to business trips and taking the dog for a walk.

Plans for the future: Drive it whenever I can, mostly. Wash it when the rear number-plate becomes illegible or the amount of mud in the wheelarches takes the edge off the performance. Oh, and I'm going to need a set of winter wheels and tyres.

Photos WILL appear when the car does :)

@silentbrown - Nice 1!

Looking foreword to the pics/write up :)

Getting close now. I've been emailed the VIN and registration number!

Entering the VIN on the my.audi website shows that the colours and options all appear to be correct, which is a good start.
Region

Bizarrely you have to use the German version of the site to see this.

The 'date of first registration' is showing as next Monday, so fingers crossed that will be 'the day'. :)

Reactions: ruairi83 and Bristle Hound
Getting close now. I've been emailed the VIN and registration number!

Entering the VIN on the my.audi website shows that the colours and options all appear to be correct, which is a good start. Bizarrely you have to use the germans version of the site to see this.

The 'date of first registration' is showing as next Monday, so fingers crossed that will be 'the day'. :)
Hey, @silentbrown, you got a link for that?

Hey, @silentbrown, you got a link for that?
Sure: First, register here, then add the vehicle from the VIN number.

https://my.audi.com/content/gb/myaudi/en/home.html

Next, log out, and use the 'country selection' at top left of screen to select Germany/German.
Region

Now, log in again (in German!) Your username and password are the same as before. Use Google Translate to view the site in English, and you'll see the tab for Vehicle details. Simples.
Region

Reactions: jdp1962
It's confirmed . Monday's the day :)

And I'm currently Audi-less, having waved goodbye to the A4 today. Relying on Mrs SB's good nature to let me borrow her car until then...

Reactions: Bristle Hound, scotty76, StuBill and 2 others
Bizarrely you have to use the German version of the site to see this.

Now I find out! I wondered why MyAudi shows nothing about my car!

Enjoy Monday. I still remember my collection day - a mixture of nerves and excitement :)

Reactions: silentbrown
Enjoy Monday. I still remember my collection day - a mixture of nerves and excitement :)

Thanks all. It's getting close :)

Gap insurance sorted (totallossgap.co.uk), and Insurance sorted from Chris Knott, who were outstanding. (Not cheapest, but close enough, and thoroughly helpful) My previous policy with Adrian Flux is cancelled, and I've added them to the growing list of companies that used to be good, but are now too big to give a sh*t.

My old car has gone to Fontain, who were a real pleasure to deal with. Sure, I could (eventually) have got more for it privately, but I'm more than happy with the outcome.

Roll on Monday!

Reactions: scotty76, Bristle Hound and jdp1962
Thanks all. It's getting close :)

Gap insurance sorted (totallossgap.co.uk), and Insurance sorted from Chris Knott, who were outstanding. (Not cheapest, but close enough, and thoroughly helpful) My previous policy with Adrian Flux is cancelled, and I've added them to the growing list of companies that used to be good, but are now too big to give a sh*t.

My old car has gone to Fontain, who were a real pleasure to deal with. Sure, I could (eventually) have got more for it privately, but I'm more than happy with the outcome.

Roll on Monday!
Good outcome all round. Who did you deal with at Fontain? I bought my current B7 and its B6 predecessor with David Sugden.

Your in for a treat on Monday for sure. Enjoy :)
Funny you mention Adrian Flux, I tried them for a quote on the S4 based on their glossy ads in Audi Tuner mag. They wanted silly money, and really didn't seem that interested. Only based on my experience of course, but they just didn't walk the talk.

Good outcome all round. Who did you deal with at Fontain? I bought my current B7 and its B6 predecessor with David Sugden.
Alex Green and Rob Walsh. Would happily do business with them again.
Your in for a treat on Monday for sure. Enjoy :)
Funny you mention Adrian Flux, I tried them for a quote on the S4 based on their glossy ads in Audi Tuner mag. They wanted silly money, and really didn't seem that interested. Only based on my experience of course, but they just didn't walk the talk.
Flux wanted almost £200 just to switch from the A4 to the S4 for the remaining 3 months of the policy.:wtf: (and the A4 policy wasn't cheap in the first place).

@silentbrown have a good pick up on Monday. Can't wait to see the pics . Enjoy :) x

Insurance sorted from Chris Knott, who were outstanding. (Not cheapest, but close enough, and thoroughly helpful)
+1. I have tended to switch between them and A-Plan who have the same level of service, but A-Plan has been getting me a better deal than Chris Knott recently.

Well, it's here :)

Just back from the dealer with a smile on my face and dead bugs all over the car. At least it was clean once!

Very pleased with the look. Low-key and unassuming on the 18" wheels. Carbon Atlas was a great choice as it kind of echos the Daytona exterior. Grey, but unbelievably sparkly.#teamdaytona !

Still coming to terms with the S-tronic, (just one left-foot-on-brake oh-sh*t moment when I relaxed a little) but the ride is fine on standard dampers. Steering is a little lighter than the 2.0TFSI, and I'm nowhere near finding out how much difference the sports diff really makes, but turn-in seems a lot crisper.

P1020990
P1020984
P1020988
P1020986

Reactions: CamS4, Bristle Hound, scotty76 and 4 others
Tyres fitted are Pirelli P7's. Mileage at delivery was 1...

Just playing with the MMI menus - it shows THREE keys programmed for the car. Does the plastic jobby count as one?

Looking loverly Silentbrown, what a beautifull day for a pickup.

Daytona does looke very nice. So what freebies did you get :D

Nice. Looks very 'sleeper' with the 18's.
Welcome to 'I can't believe how sparkly this grey is #teamdaytona' :)

Not sure "freebies" is the right word, when you've just watched a five-digit sum taken on your debit card!

We were unexpectedly offered a meal out (up to £100): 'Just send us the bill'. We then joked about this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ered-free-meal-Audi-bosses-runs-700-bill.html

I've a good idea where we'll go, too. http://www.thestagg.co.uk/The_Stagg_Inn/Home.html

Oh, and the usual AMI cables. And a spare pair of plates, as I'd asked from them to be stuck rather than drilled, but they forgot...

Getting jealous. May have to go and wash the car ready for a cruise in the nice weather tomorrow...

Well, it's here :)

Just back from the dealer with a smile on my face and dead bugs all over the car. At least it was clean once!

Very pleased with the look. Low-key and unassuming on the 18" wheels. Carbon Atlas was a great choice as it kind of echos the Daytona exterior. Grey, but unbelievably sparkly.#teamdaytona !

Still coming to terms with the S-tronic, (just one left-foot-on-brake oh-sh*t moment when I relaxed a little) but the ride is fine on standard dampers. Steering is a little lighter than the 2.0TFSI, and I'm nowhere near finding out how much difference the sports diff really makes, but turn-in seems a lot crisper.

View attachment 62023 View attachment 62020 View attachment 62022 View attachment 62021
S4 Avant looks gorgeous SB!

& welcome to #teamalcantara ;)

Looking good. Loving the Carbon Atlas. I've got the P7s on mine and they've been fine.

Great photos!

As has been said, you've gone for a really classy and understated look. Very nice.

I'm nowhere near finding out how much difference the sports diff really makes
I'm just starting to get used to my S5 enough to push it hard through the bends. Yes it makes a really big difference.

Mileage at delivery was 1...
I was told that they always put a few miles on it in PDI. Mine was delivered to the dealer with 20 and had 24 when I collected it.

it shows THREE keys programmed for the car. Does the plastic jobby count as one?
Yes. I had the same reaction as you so checked with my dealer.

Nice bit of 'tography'. You clearly have an eye/head for composition.........
Lines work really well on the second, and the exposure is well handled :)

Your Daytona wagon looks smooth and great weather for cruising, happy for you:s4addict: