Is this a MOT fail- tyre.

johnnevett

Reaction score
Hi all,
Disaster has happened, I've kerbed my alloy. And to make it worse done this to the tyre

Is this a MOT failure? It's due in two week so need to order a new one if it is
Cheers

I'm not an expert or qualified but, I bought a car where a side wall was damaged like yours and had been glued. The car had just been through an MOT and there was an advisory stating that the 'tyre side wall had been repaired'. No instruction to do actually change it, just making the customer aware. My advice would be to go to an independent tyre garage who can advise and possibly glue it for you. The last thing you would want is a high speed failure.

Either seal/glue it or trim it off. Won't be an mot failure. The tester will be more interested in finding tread wear lower than 1.6mm...

As long as you can't see the cords it's not a problem. Pity the rim protector isn't a bit bigger. It's a lot bigger on an Goodyear Eagle F1 tyre

Reactions: xpoweruk
its a problem if you have a **** of a tester, i would pass it if i knew you and you would defiantly change it, but its a little hear and there just change it out for the sake of 70 quid .
uneven wear and all that
it probs wont fail for it
it's a serious chunk though, my condolences ;~)

£70? Is that a remould??..
If your tyre is shagged I agree a new one should be purchased. If you have bought an expensive Audi why put crap rubber on each corner. Budgets are for cheaper brands. I would and will always use at least a continental brand on a car that was £35K 3 yrs ago. False economy...

70 was an under mark but I've got 4x's coopper tyres for 75 a peice... life time guarntee any puncture any shape or form is covered ( saved me 200bucks well if you replace the tyres .... Which they do )
No point going with the brands such as ( continental) if you don't know what there made of .. You could have Porsche or Aston sellling you the worst rubber in the world and wouldnt know it ... Just because audi recommend conti's doesn't make them
Good tyres .
And I must add I've never slipped off the road and i regularly commute to work at 140mph ( I must admit that I wake up a little late and smash it ) On the Auto bahn and have never slipped or spun off the road with my alleged budget non continentals

What alloy size? I'm stating you shouldn't put rubbish on a corner of its your pride and joy. By the way my corners are 255/35/19 so would be happy if they were £70 mate...!

225 45 r17
And I do just fine from ghuterslogh to bielefeld daily commute
and the quartely Calais rally ( that's a joke term )
All I'm saying is unless your on a track or have cash to splash there's no point kaneing money on tyres which waste In 1 - 2 years because at the end of the day in the U.K you can only travel at 70 or a little more if your naughty ... Here in Germany you regularly see guys hounding there cars me included with standard tyres ..... Plus if you feel the need to buy crazy tyres for British roads at mediocre speed limits you need to reevaluate your driving style
Plus I changed from 120 quid conti's to pirelles then changed to coopers and found the coopers better for grip braking and sound ... But that's preference i guess

Last edited:
And let's not forget the big savings on life time guarntees

It's around £175 for a decent tyre per corner but I know you can get cra* ones for around £90. What I'm saying is if I was on the autobahn doing the stated 155mph I'd rather decent tyres. By the way I have been on the autobahn in said car and exceeded the 155mph - limiter doesn't work ;)

It does get sketchy above the stated Limit especially the a3 ... Sounds like it's seconds from going bang :)... Never broke 144, if I did dread to think of the repair costs lol. .
Different inches more rubber more money all I'm saying is look Ino the different brands theres cheaper and better shoes than the ones the top dogs at vag make a deal with and dictate should be fitted to your vehichle .
But back on topic it's worth changing the tyre for the mot and maybe changing it back after then keeping the new tyre for a spare (I have done this and it's saved me a few quid a few times ) because at the end of the day if it can be refitted and doesn't let air out .....a little sidewall damage isn't gunna blow out or alter grip if you like to live life on the edge :)

Reactions: Tfsi gone
I saw stated 160mph before I backed off. Anyway yeah I would fix the side wall and get a new tyre ;)

I wouldn't bother, it's the rim protector and not the sidewall. I hit a curb and pealed about 10cms off my tyres, basically pinched the rim protector against the alloy and it snipped off. They are not designed for hard impact and come away easily. My car passed it's first MOT with flying colours from a main dealer with said tyre.

With regards to budget tyres, don't. There are only 4 small patches of your car that me con with the earth, I'd want to make sure I had decent contact. You get what you pay for, within reason, they are budget for a reason. They are perfectly safe ut do you want "safe " or do you want "above and beyond"?

By the way, recently got some vredestein ultrac vortis for £117 a corner from tyreleader. 255/35/19 so you don't have to spend a lot for quality rubber.

Reactions: Chop. and Tfsi gone
That should pass just trim it off

had a couple vredestein good tyres

I did this earlier on in the year - was in a good 6" of snow and went straight on rather than around the bend! Hit the curb and damaged the rim protector and alloy.
Audi passed it 6 weeks ago - so yours will be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 272
The failure criteria is if you can see the cords and you cant with that so it would pass.

Also the budget tyre debate look at the specs rather than the price or make.

Reactions: Chop.