Fuel range , mcr to amsterdam

Zache

Reaction score
I'm curios to see what milage out of a full tank people are getting , I got 525 miles from 45 litres , in my 1.6 tdi sline sb, it's less than two months old, I had a fabia same engine and was getting 600 maybe because it's still a brand new engine

Your 425 miles from 45 litres works out to be 52.98mpg. I got similar or a few miles per gallon more from my 2.0TDI-184 quattro when on a long run recently to north of Amsterdam and my journeys to Northern Germany. for holidays. The trips to Germany include quite a bit a fast (120-130mph) driving once I'm on the autobahn in Germany

Once I've reached my destination I tend to drive around the area at no more than 60mph enjoying the scenery and I always get bit more (57-58mpg). On my last trip to Germany I had a puncture just as I entered Germany and had to do the next 100 miles on de-restricted autobahn at 50 mph on a space saver which as very frustrating but I was getting 75mpg!

As your engine is quite new I think you will find your mpg will improve over time but can obvious be very dependant on how you drive. Do you possibly drive the A3 faster than the Fabia just because it's a better car!

I had a full load plus four adults I would say average 70-75mph , does the 2 litre diesel only have a 45 litre fuel tank , I'm thinking of driving to berlin this August again around 900 miles

I had a full load plus four adults I would say average 70-75mph , does the 2 litre diesel only have a 45 litre fuel tank , I'm thinking of driving to berlin this August again around 900 miles
No the 2.0TDI has the same 50 litre tank as other A3s, except the quattro version like mine which have a 55 litre tank.

My journeys are made with just two adults but with a 55kg mobility scooter in the boot, plus two medium size cases in the car itself.

Enjoy your trip to Berlin! I will be going just south of Hamburg for a week in October. I always look forward to the driving on German roads.

Mine has a 45 litre tank , Yh same the quicker I get out of France the better

Mine has a 45 litre tank , Yh same the quicker I get out of France the better
According to the current A3 Price and Specification Guide the A3 1.6TDI S-Line has a 50 litre fuel tank!

I agree with about France. Which route will you take?

My route to Northern Germany is Channel Tunnel then A16 towards Dunkirk, A18/A10 in Belgium and then E17 to Gent and Antwerp and on to E313/E34 to Eindhoven in Holland and cross in to Germany at near Duisburg. Use the A57/A42 around the Rhur and then the A3 and A2 to Hannover. You can stay on the A2 around Hannover and all the way to Berlin. Quite a lot of the A3 and A3 are de-restricted.

Last edited:
45 litres I drove like 15 miles on zero range so i no I emptied the tank each time ,

As this is the 8V forum I assumed we are talking here about an A3 mode because, as I say, both the Audi Price and Spec Guide document and the Owner's Manual under Capacities say the fuel tank for front wheel drive is approx 50 litres and for a four wheel drive approx 55 litres.

The information Sinclair Audi have sent you refers to an Audi A1. The A1 is 3974mm long whereas the A3 Sportback is 4310mm long.

Which car do you have - an A1 or an A3.

A3 has a 50 litre fuel tank. Quattro A3/S3 have 55 litre tanks.

0 indication comes on with 1 gallon left in the tank, just like every other Audi. The fuel computer does not calculate range on that last gallon.

Best I've managed in a 1.6TDI is 635m from a tank. Zero come on at 606m and I done a further 29m before filling up with 48.3l back into the 50l tank.

This was 8 x 80m journeys, three adults, 90% motorway on cruise at 70. If it had just been me and an uninterrupted trip, I think the car would stretch closer to 700m from the tank.

In contrast, the best I managed in the S3 was 430m from 54 litres same type of trip, 3 up. That was around 20m after the 0.

I've been getting 550 every time driving at 75mph usually with three adults ,