Fog Lights as DRL Daytime Running Lights Using VCDS

Once activated, how do you lower the brightness of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you check to see if this is legal in the Uk cause its ilegal as far as i know to run your Fog lights when its not foggy just a thought

Been asking around and the general gist I’ve found is like I thought, ok providing there not at full brightness. But not sure if that’s true or not?

Been asking around and the general gist I’ve found is like I thought, ok providing there not at full brightness. But not sure if that’s true or not?
Might be worth dropping in to your local shop and ask the Traffic guys cause if it is ilegal and you get stopped you will get points and a on the spot fine off at least £100 costly price to pay for not asking a simple question .

When the front fogs are used as DRL’s the sidelight bulb in the headlights does not come on , so they’re indistinguishable from the absolute load of other car models out there with DRL’s mounted in the lower front bumper/valance.
I can’t quite remember where exactly the adjustment is made (it’s in VCDS) but mine are turned down to 70% brightness and no problems at MOT time or from anyone else over the last 2 years.
You’d have to be a member of a forum like this (lol) to know they weren’t the factory set-up.

Reactions: Abi
When the front fogs are used as DRL’s the sidelight bulb in the headlights does not come on , so they’re indistinguishable from the absolute load of other car models out there with DRL’s mounted in the lower front bumper/valance.
I can’t quite remember where exactly the adjustment is made (it’s in VCDS) but mine are turned down to 70% brightness and no problems at MOT time or from anyone else over the last 2 years.
You’d have to be a member of a forum like this (lol) to know they weren’t the factory set-up.
So your Advocating doing this mod , as i said my concern would be if anyone gets pull over cause most off the time if they do it will be a on the stop fine and maybe points , now i don't know if it is allowed but checking is what i would do first rather than wait to see , but everyone to there own as i did get away with a fully blacked out A3 for 2.5yrs then a pull and lucky i bought from a reputable dealer or 6 points plus £100 on the stop fine i would have got

So your Advocating doing this mod , as i said my concern would be if anyone gets pull over cause most off the time if they do it will be a on the stop fine and maybe points , now i don't know if it is allowed but checking is what i would do first rather than wait to see , but everyone to there own as i did get away with a fully blacked out A3 for 2.5yrs then a pull and lucky i bought from a reputable dealer or 6 points plus £100 on the stop fine i would have got
You are absolutely spot in it is illegal to have front fog lites switched on unless the driving conditions call for their use (reduced visibility)

The question is at what point do fog lights stop being fog lights? The law is in place specifically to stop you dazzling oncoming traffic. The point of this being if you could prove the brightness is low enough as to no longer classify them as fog lights. I wouldn't like to be the one explaining that to a traffic police officer my guess is that they won't believe you! In that situation you can of course refuse the fine and have your day in front of the magistrates court you could easily get enough evidence together to prove they are no longer fogs.... BUT... Is it worth it?

Reactions: ch1z64 and Abi
Once activated, how do you lower the brightness of them?

Relay controlled lights cannot be modulated (you are thinking about LEDs anyway)

You are absolutely spot in it is illegal to have front fog lites switched on unless the driving conditions call for their use (reduced visibility)

The question is at what point do fog lights stop being fog lights? The law is in place specifically to stop you dazzling oncoming traffic. The point of this being if you could prove the brightness is low enough as to no longer classify them as fog lights. I wouldn't like to be the one explaining that to a traffic police officer my guess is that they won't believe you! In that situation you can of course refuse the fine and have your day in front of the magistrates court you could easily get enough evidence together to prove they are no longer fogs.... BUT... Is it worth it?

Thats is the point is worth it , sometimes i just wonder why people firstly give that type off advice i have been doing for 2yrs and not a problem and the other is why not just go and ask cause if it was me i know which one i would do cause it costs enough to buy insurance without penalty points.
In the eyes off the Law Fog lights never stop being Fog lights and thats what you would get done with Fog lights . If i mind there trying to get headlight bulbs dimmed as to many people are using to bright a ones

I think a lot of you are getting rather hot and bothered over fog lights vs DRLs as if they are hugely different forms of lights which can be pointed out at the roadside, in reality they can’t.
Whilst many cars have LED DRL’s these days many still don’t, and when I drive around each day I see many many examples of cars with DRLs (using conventional halogen bulbs) mounted in the lower bumper which look just like dimmed foglights.
An example off the top of my head is a circa 2010 Passat.
I’d never run around with my fogs at full intensity but at 70% light output my front fogs look exactly like all the other DRLs that I see every day.

I think a lot of you are getting rather hot and bothered over fog lights vs DRLs as if they are hugely different forms of lights which can be pointed out at the roadside, in reality they can’t.
Whilst many cars have LED DRL’s these days many still don’t, and when I drive around each day I see many many examples of cars with DRLs (using conventional halogen bulbs) mounted in the lower bumper which look just like dimmed foglights.
An example off the top of my head is a circa 2010 Passat.
I’d never run around with my fogs at full intensity but at 70% light output my front fogs look exactly like all the other DRLs that I see every day.
Personnally i am not hot n bothered i just think if you going to give bad advice best to give none .
All we are trying to do is advise people if they wish to do this MOD best thing to do is keep within the law ( if it is against the law to do mod ) now we dont say dont do as you rightly said you have never been stopped but that doesn't mean the guy might not .
So you could help the guy and others by explaining how you can go about turning the strength off the LIGHTS DOWN which again you said you managed to do . Hope this clears up the matter

I don’t think that I am giving bad advice, I’m giving the opinion that there’s nothing wrong with doing this and that frankly you’re all over-reacting.
You say that you’re not, sorry but your reply suggests otherwise!
Caps lock is regarded as shouting by the way.......

I don’t think that I am giving bad advice, I’m giving the opinion that there’s nothing wrong with doing this and that frankly you’re all over-reacting.
You say that you’re not, sorry but your reply suggests otherwise!
Caps lock is regarded as shouting by the way.......
I know cap locks are shouting and i use them for highligthing something too , as for the advice i tend to disagree just my opinion.
Now i notice this is now detracting from the OP so i will take my leave and hope someone will come along soon and let both off us know if it is legal to do mod or not cause as i said i am only assuming fogs are fogs and have to be used as fogs .
Still waiting on maybe you explaining how you did dim yours as i noticed in post others asking so i gather you will enlighten us on how to do it soon or is this a secret :thumbs up:

Just thought of the answer to this argument!

When you have them set as 70% as DRL o they still work from the control knob in the cabin as a fog light i.e. you twist the knob and then they come on as fogs as full brightness? So long as they do that then I guess they are not only legal but you also risk points on your licence if you do end up getting stopped by the police..

If it works like I mentioned and the police did pull you over for having your fog lights on you say "no officer these are DRL, please have a look whilst a switch my fog lights on." You twist the knob and the dim light from the DRL setting suddenly goes to full fog brightness briefly dazzling the police officer and giving you the perfect opportunity to make your getaway