How much?!! Jaw = Floor...

A

Arnie2007

Hi guys,

In an attempt to get the niggly parts on the car right (scraped interior plastics, squeaks etc etc), I popped into my local Audi dealer to price a couple of parts. Some were quite reasonable, some were expensive. I don't have a decent breakers anywhere near me, so some parts I'm happy to buy new for the price. However, this part I'm not....

18792041388_138f5be4df_b.jpg

See that little plastic piece thats missing from the door card? Inside the handle grab? We all know how small that part is don't we? That piece of tiny plastic, which is available to buy separately (I expected to hear I need a new door card!) costs..... £14!! £14 for a tiny piece of black plastic!!! I'm shocked... I thought £2-£3 would have been expensive, but I would have paid that to get it right, considering the nearest breakers to me is an 80 mile round trip; the Audi dealer is a 3 mile round trip.

I'm gob smacked. I don't suppose anybody here has one from a damaged door card do they? Or could have a look at a breakers for me next time they're at one? I know Audi is a 'Premium brand', but thats just obscene...

Did I mention I was shocked? And it was £14? Holy moly thats some premium plastic! :dizzy:

I thought you were going to say £50 or the like. I know it's small but I'm not surprised at the price. Stealers will charge over the top for everything. No suppliers on eBay or Aliexpress? Get the part # and do a search.

God, £50 and I'd have passed out! I still think£14 is awful, it's inly about 2" long!

I have got a print out from Audi somewhere, I'll see if the part no is in there. No joy in eBay, although I'm not exactly sure what I'd search for...

Its £14 not £1400 I mean come on lol.

Also, its not the stealers prices, they make very little markup on most parts, there money is made on servicing parts, audi sets the prices with a 10 level discount scheme dealers have for them, so blame VAG not the dealer.

But just remember they are made in another country, then logistics is a fair number of journeys, then into numerous warehouses, people handling, IT systems, etc, all comes at a cost.

Wait until some one tells you how much that bit of sponge under your bum costs to replace. Mine is collapsed and I've been trying to find one pop up on ebay because £130 is a bit high for a piece of sponge!

£76 + vat for the brushed ally trim on the interior door card for an A3 :grumpy:. Weight for weight, Gold is cheaper.

I do have a good relationship with my parts man (no snide comments please) so get the trade discount.

I know people are mocking me for the fact its only £14, and in the grand scheme of things there could be a lot more to go wrong with my car which could be a lot more expensive. But irregardless of that, this piece of plastic is what, 2" x 1", and it's £14. Smaller than a credit card, so I do think £14 is a lot. You compare that to the battery tray cover/scuttle trim whatever you want to call it, which is the width of the engine bay that comes in at £23. When I had my Golf, from the same dealer, a full set (front and rear, carpet) mats was only £21. Crikey, the front and rear number plates from Audi with the dealership rear numberplate mount was only £12!

So, I stand by my reaction: I don't care if it's perceived as tight/over reaction, it is an expensive piece of tiny plastic :lol:

Reactions: SINGHY
Another one I've looked at recently, you know the little rubber bump/buffer stops attached to each side of the Avant tailgate. Not sure on UK prices as I just looked on ecs website....

$61!

Few years back, I worked doing leather retrims. We broke a speaker grille in a door card once, it had the 4 rings and Bose on it.
£80+VAT.
The parts guy did say that they made over £60 on it..............

Costs £16 + for the plastic rings on the engine bay cover lol. Just as bad!
but then you can get the B7 S4 rear valence for £49 and thats huge haha

strange