298BHP 2.7TDI A5

BIGA3T

Reaction score
The car has the upgraded turbo which is seen in the 3.0tdi. Also dpf delete and upgraded intercooler etc etc.

I'm just wondering how will the multitronic cope with that much torque as they say it can only take up to 500.

I'm looking to do the exact same to my AUDI a5 2.7tdi

( I posted here because the a5 section DONT like replying to anything LOL)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 619
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 492
I am slightly confused by the dyno chart for that car I thought the 2.7 was a FWD car with the multitronic. And the dyno is configured for a 4wd car. The power losses look quite excessive for a FWD car only 235 bhp at the wheels.
The GTB2566 hybrid is good for 360-370bhp on a 3.0, and with the limitation of torque because of the gearbox on the 2.7 I would have thought the GTB2260 standard 3.0 turbo would be a better choice.
This turbo makes 300 bhp plus on a 3.0 so on a 2.7 I would of thought would give you 280 bhp but the response would be much better low down and it would easily give you 500 Nm plus over a very wide rev range.
As to whether the multitronic is good for 500Nm plus are there many people running these tuned and how much torque do they make.
Karl

I am slightly confused by the dyno chart for that car I thought the 2.7 was a FWD car with the multitronic. And the dyno is configured for a 4wd car. The power losses look quite excessive for a FWD car only 235 bhp at the wheels.
The GTB2566 hybrid is good for 360-370bhp on a 3.0, and with the limitation of torque because of the gearbox on the 2.7 I would have thought the GTB2260 standard 3.0 turbo would be a better choice.
This turbo makes 300 bhp plus on a 3.0 so on a 2.7 I would of thought would give you 280 bhp but the response would be much better low down and it would easily give you 500 Nm plus over a very wide rev range.
As to whether the multitronic is good for 500Nm plus are there many people running these tuned and how much torque do they make.
Karl

I don't really know anyone who's running 280 plus on 2.7tdi

Know a few people who have just Had their cars mapped on the standard turbo and they're producing up to 245/250

I just want to get up to 280/300

Would that be okay using the normal 3.0tdi a5 turbo

As I can get a 2012 a5 3.0tdi turbo for £200 and it's only on 28k miles.

Then after turbo I'll get the upgraded j line intercooler as you suggested in an earlier post. Dpf delete, full straight through exhaust, and then a remap to see me through to 280+

The standard turbo runs out of air at higher RPM hence the limit. I get 312bhp out of my car with no DPF and the intercooler.
The 2.7 is 10% smaller in capacity than the 3.0. 3.0 * 0.9 = 2.7 . So 312 * 0.9 = 281 BHP
I think you could reasonably expect 280 bhp plus from a 3.0 TDI turbo on a 2.7 TDI .
You may even get a little more as the 3.0 TDI turbo will be flowing less air, as it's a smaller engine so you may be able to ask for a little more boost.
If you look at the 1.9 / 2.0 TDI guys they manage to get 300bhp out of these with a GTB2260VK.
Your limitation is really the gearbox, how much of a risk do you want to take with going over 500Nm .
There is a simple calculator here http://www.wentec.com/unipower/calculators/power_torque.asp

Putting in 500Nm at 4000 RPM gives you 281 BHP .
If your mapper is able to limit the torque to around the 500-525Nm mark then I think you will get 280 reliable bhp while still retaining good fuel economy and pick up at lower RPM.
Your other issue is the car is FWD and with this much power / torque you are going to be getting plenty of traction control action in lower gears.

Karl.

Reactions: BIGA3T
The standard turbo runs out of air at higher RPM hence the limit. I get 312bhp out of my car with no DPF and the intercooler.
The 2.7 is 10% smaller in capacity than the 3.0. 3.0 * 0.9 = 2.7 . So 312 * 0.9 = 281 BHP
I think you could reasonably expect 280 bhp plus from a 3.0 TDI turbo on a 2.7 TDI .
You may even get a little more as the 3.0 TDI turbo will be flowing less air, as it's a smaller engine so you may be able to ask for a little more boost.
If you look at the 1.9 / 2.0 TDI guys they manage to get 300bhp out of these with a GTB2260VK.
Your limitation is really the gearbox, how much of a risk do you want to take with going over 500Nm .
There is a simple calculator here http://www.wentec.com/unipower/calculators/power_torque.asp

Putting in 500Nm at 4000 RPM gives you 281 BHP .
If your mapper is able to limit the torque to around the 500-525Nm mark then I think you will get 280 reliable bhp while still retaining good fuel economy and pick up at lower RPM.
Your other issue is the car is FWD and with this much power / torque you are going to be getting plenty of traction control action in lower gears.

Karl.

Thanks very much Karl you have been great help!

And I'll just relax off the lights so no wheel spinning lol, but motoreay overtaking power would be nice and a nice exhaust note