Load cover won't clip in

toastyhamster

Reaction score
So, took my load cover out as per usual, but when i come to replace it the spring clips either side are fully retracted and won't pop out (the big clip in the middle, not the two prongs). Audi fixed this for me once before but for all I know they hit it with a hammer. Anybody know how to fix this? It's the same both sides.
IMG 0091

Was in C&R today for a fault code check and they reckoned it was bust, so I decided to have a look and see how it works. Each end cap is held on by a rivet and a torx screw. I undid the screw and drilled the rivet off the business end (the one shown here). Came off pretty easy. Had a look around with the cap off and tried to figure out how it all works. Seems incredibly complicated for something that really is just a retractable cover.

Couldn't find anything wrong with the mechanism but as soon as I touched the two prongs on the load cover they sprang out another 10mm or so. A bit more investigation and it looks like a lip has worn on the plastic mechanism which means they don't always spring back into position, they spring back on the business end side but this actually forces the other end out once the cap is back on. Took a bit of fiddling but I put it all back together and it's back in the car, although still not 100% securely.

Ebay here I come, I couldn't see anyway of getting into the spindle to fix the worn plastic.

Is this the solid load cover or the perforated load/luggage net that attaches to the roof?
As I have a spare net one.