ACC Stops you undertaking

A3Kent

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been said before, apologies if it has.

I was travelling back from work on the M25 this evening and there was a lorry in the second lane doing about 60mph and nothing on the inside. I had ACC on at 75mph on the inside lane.

Now normally I would overtake properly but it had been a long day and I was feeling grumpy so I thought I'd just slip up the inside of him in the slow lane to make a point, only to find that ACC stopped me from doing so! Car braked to the same speed as the lorry and wouldn't let me do it. I was pretty surprised, it cheered me up as I thought it was pretty cool! Nice touch.

Anyone noticed this before? I hope not as undertaking is stupid!

I
Not sure if this has been said before, apologies if it has.

I was travelling back from work on the M25 this evening and there was a lorry in the second lane doing about 60mph and nothing on the inside. I had ACC on at 75mph on the inside lane.

Now normally I would overtake properly but it had been a long day and I was feeling grumpy so I thought I'd just slip up the inside of him in the slow lane to make a point, only to find that ACC stopped me from doing so! Car braked to the same speed as the lorry and wouldn't let me do it. I was pretty surprised, it cheered me up as I thought it was pretty cool! Nice touch.

Anyone noticed this before? I hope not as undertaking is stupid!
if that is true, it is the worst example of Big Brother I have ever heard of . It may be an illegal move, but if you wish to do it so be it.
I can also think of many examples when this manoeuvre would be legal and to stop you doing it is dangerous.

I

if that is true, it is the worst example of Big Brother I have ever heard of . It may be an illegal move, but if you wish to do it so be it.
I can also think of many examples when this manoeuvre would be legal and to stop you doing it is dangerous.

If you wish to do it then put your foot on the gas pedal.

Have had ACC on several VAG cars, Golfs, Octavias etc (but not Audis) and have "undertaken" many times with ACC on when in the inside lane on motorway slip roads or junction run offs, or in traffic on the Dartford crossing bridge etc and I have have never seen this.

Maybe a fault on your car?

The car will also undertake if you pull back on the cruise control stalk.

Your experience is normal. ACC on mine does hold back if it detects you are about to undertake a vehicle. However, to over-ride the system is simple. Just pull back on the ACC wand (I think it is the resume function) and the vehicle will continue with the manouver.

I have ACC and mine does this. I override it just by tapping the accelerator briefly and it will speed back up. I did not know about pulling the wand also did this. Will try on my way to goodwood

Overall it think it is a good feature and easily overridden if required.

@cemerson has posted before, a quick pull of the stalk, or a quick dab of the accelerator, and the car will "undertake".

It will also "undertake" if the "sees" the car in front of you doing the same.

/

Ah that might explain why I have never experienced this in other VAG cars as invariably i am following other traffic, e;g on Dartford Crossing

Reactions: veeeight
I read in the manual if you're going round a bend and try to undertake it will think the car to your right is actually in front of you, that's why it kicks in. Apparently.

I take it the system is set up differently in Americaland where undertaking is an accepted part of driving.

Yeah, in the States they just have guns come out of the front (like Bond's Aston) and just shoot the other cars out of their way. Allegedly.

Reactions: Simon L, Psyman79 and Minion Bob!
I've never tried undertaking a car in another lane that my ACC isn't tracking but I've noticed that if the the car in front of me moves to an outside lane and has been going slower than the speed that my ACC is set at my car will undertake slowly until past it and then accelerate to the set speed. Tried it a few times.
I may try a straight undertake when approaching a car in another lane to test its behaviour, not always safe to try it though.

I was in the inside lane on the M6 over the Thelwall viaduct, keeping in the Left Hand lane at about 25 MPH as I was going off at Lymm Services. There was intermittent congestion due to an accident south of us. I was using ACC and no problem with undertaking. It was a four lane area and initially it was flowing traffic and then the lane to my RHS slowed and I was able to keep going without informing the ACC that is was ok to do so.

I've never tried undertaking a car in another lane that my ACC isn't tracking but I've noticed that if the the car in front of me moves to an outside lane and has been going slower than the speed that my ACC is set at my car will undertake slowly until past it and then accelerate to the set speed. Tried it a few times.
I may try a straight undertake when approaching a car in another lane to test its behaviour, not always safe to try it though.
This manoeuvre is legal in the UK despite popular belief to the contrary.

Not worried about legality, just people changing lanes without looking in their mirrors

Reactions: Simon L and The Challinor
Shhh! Don't give them any ideas about getting another assist. :tongueclosed:

Must be up to 25 by now! :wink:

Reactions: Simon L, Rob2k68 and veeeight
Just to add to this, I went to France a couple of months ago. On first arriving it didn't like to overtake being on the other side. I think I had to pull the stalk a couple of times and then it leant and worked as it should.

Reactions: Martinbanshee
Shhh! Don't give them any ideas about getting another assist. :tongueclosed:

Must be up to 25 by now! :wink:

Ha Ha. For the Nokia 3310 owners and people reluctant to change it's called technology. It makes life easier when used correctly...if you can get your brain round it

For North American spec cars, ACC does not appear to prevent undertaking. I did an experiment last night on the highway and was able to pass slower vehicles from both sides. As noted in an earlier post it is common practice on this side of the pond to use any available lane for passing, although personally I try to use the overtaking side.

I don't tend to undertake, it's just a bit of a pain if the car in front of you is turning right from a filter lane and ACC thinks you're trying to undertake and brakes sharply.