MK5 Golf R32 vs A3 2.0t FSI S-Line?

nothingness

Reaction score
Got around £13k to spend on a car. Been looking and driving GOLF R32's and loving them so far but for the same amount of money as a good, low mileage one, I cannot help but think a low mileage, high spec S-Line A3 is a better option.

OK it will sound crap BUT I don't tend to drive agressively anymore enough to warrant Quattro, and a remapped 2.0T has more power, torque, and will deliver better MPG, and I believe servicing will be much cheaper due to lack of Haldex maintenence for example.

What would you choose? It will be my only car.

Out of those 2, the R32 by a country mile, the sound of that V6 mmm...

Reactions: Scottyg
The sound of the R32 is delicious, I always open my window for a listen if I am alongside. They pull from low revs but overall I think they should feel faster than they are. They handle well and they are a nice car to drive. The manual gearbox/clutch can be clonky as you go up the box. The Osymant wheels are a pain due to the diamond cut edge to the rim. My son had one but was crippled by the road tax. He now has a mapped Focus ST mk 3 and that would eat the R32 for breakfast on the road.
Overall, the R32 has intrigue but is that enough to outweigh the large running costs?

I had the A3 version for a while,a 3.2 and whilst I loved the engine note,and it's smoothness,it's downsides are the thirst and if you're into that,very costly to tune.

Or..... what you could do is buy my car....

Plough that 13k into the finance deal as a deposit and pay fairly low monthly repayments...:congratulatory:

That way you've got power and a nice car.. :)

Just a thought...

Reactions: DriverN00B
i was in that position went to get an r32 walked out with the a3 3.2 saved 4k great cars but there is a lot of stinkers out there

Reactions: Jake 61
If your worry is MPG i'd stay clear of the R32, however for fun factor it would be my pick!

Like discostu, I couldn't find a good Mk5 R32 within budget two years ago, so I went for a surprisingly much cheaper Sportback 3.2 V6. Still fancy an R32 though. That or a newer 2.0 Quattro Sportback.

Like discostu, I couldn't find a good Mk5 R32 within budget two years ago, so I went for a surprisingly much cheaper Sportback 3.2 V6. Still fancy an R32 though. That or a newer 2.0 Quattro Sportback.
☺ I still look at r32 on auto trader daily and instagram and would have one but to spend 3 - 4k more than my car to have a car that sounds no different and is not any faster and a slightly cheaper interior I just couldn't do it would rather chuck the 4k at the audi supercharger or turbo then I doubt I would still window shop for r32's

I had an MkV R32 for 6 years from new... ... loved that car.
Went very well, would pull its notified top speed with ease.
Low speed torque.. yes sir.
Fuel economy was on a par with my current S3 sportback over similar freeway and commuting trips.
That noise, you never stop liking it, one reason alone to get one.
Handled well, big brakes standard leather, cruise, Bi Zenons etc.

An idiot drifted into me head on and I turned towards the kerb. Wrote the car off, Saved me. Very strong doors (3 door)
Decided to get a later model with similar features , Quattro etc. settled on an S3 sportback. Only 2 things I really miss,
1. That exhaust note
2. Low down torque (would spin or squeal all 4 wheels off the line,TC off with launch control)