Apple Music with MMI

Benkayuk

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm sure there are a lot of Spotify users out there, struggling to use it with the MMI system via AMI cable, and reverting to Bluetooth just to be able to skip tracks etc.

I've just tried the new Apple Music service and it works like a dream.

Once you add a track/album to "My Music", it appears on the MMI artist/album list just as if it was stored as normal on your iPhone. You can choose to make the track available offline, but even if you don't, it seems as if it will stream the track on demand via the MMI.

Seems to me I'll be cancelling my Spotify and Tidal accounts and running with this as it's the only streaming service that seems to work seamlessly.

Thought this might be useful info.

Ben

Reactions: Dtwm1, phil1824, illingworth22 and 3 others
Yep, tried it out myself last night and was very impressed indeed.

Can I ask a few questions.....
1) How are you connecting your phone to the MMI, Cable or BT?
2) How are you getting the music to play on your car's system exactly, via the controls on the car or via the phone?

I have never got anything other than the music on my iPhone (BT connected) or my iPod (connected with one of the millions of cables audi supply for apple products).

Hi, both questions are answered above, but for the record :

1. Via AMI cable (yellow collar in my case). Bluetooth works for playback, but of course you can't browse artists etc, you can only skip tracks (and get info). This is true for any music source on your mobile device though and a limitation of Bluetooth, not any streaming service.

2. Via the controls on the car. Because Apple Music is all integrated into one Music app, any albums, songs etc. you add to "my music" can be seen by the MMI, unlike other streaming services like Spotify,Tidal etc. Within Apple Music, you have the option to stream these "My Music" additions from the web, or download for offline playback...similar to how Spotify works. All music, whether online or offline does appear to show in MMI, which is great.
**Note : you cannot search the entire online Apple Music catalogue from MMI. Only artists, albums or tracks you have added to "My Music" **

I have yet to try this via the MMI Connect app (for those with the Connect option on their cars), but suspect this will work also. This would (should) give you the same features as with the AMI cable, but using wi-fi connection.

B

Reactions: phil1824
I have 2 Apple devices in the Car, iPod which is only at IOS 6.2 and connected via a Blue collar cable and the iPhone 6 which I connect via BT. I have the Connect App and a Sim Card in the car but the whole setup is a little complex for a 50+ bloke :)

Bit more testing last night.

Any Apple Music tunes (stored offline, or online streaming added to "my music") do NOT appear when using Connect wifi via the MMI Connect app.

iPhone 6... connected by Bluetooth and Apple Music plays and has Album Art :)

Bit more testing last night.

Any Apple Music tunes (stored offline, or online streaming added to "my music") do NOT appear when using Connect wifi via the MMI Connect app.

Yeah that was my finding too - bummer.

iPhone 6... connected by Bluetooth and Apple Music plays and has Album Art :)

But surely you have to set stuff playing on the phone via BT and there's no control via the MMI? I don't get album art doing this though.

But surely you have to set stuff playing on the phone via BT and there's no control via the MMI? I don't get album art doing this though.
Can't speak for Apple Music app but I play music via Spotify app from an iPhone 6 through Bluetooth to the car. I get album artwork for some music but not all and can use all usual controls except being able to initiate shuffle which I still need to do on the phone beforehand. Can even seek forward and back through a track with relatively no lag!

Would surely imagine the Apple Music app would so the same!

Gave this a try today with my 5S and a lightning-dock adapter (£8 - bargaintastic!).

Worked pretty well, although adding a new playlist to My Music didn't show up on the MMI straight away, probably would after time or a refresh.

Not only would it stream the tracks without pre-downloading them, but I could connect to the Connect Wifi hotspot and use that.

Now thinking I could replace my iPod Touch 3rd gen with a 5th gen unit, connected to the Wifi and use that to stream playlists via Apple Music. Would have to take it out and add new playlists now and then.

EDIT: Just realised that I can add new playlists to My Music within iTunes and this syncs to my phone, so theoretically I could have said iPod in the car permanently and just add new music on my PC and it would just appear on the MMI. Can't be that good/easy can it? Might actually be worth subscribing!

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread for sure!

I am also a long time lurker and first time poster :)

I did not know that the limited functionality when connected via BT was a limitation of Bluetooth itself! Thanks for that tip.

I'll plug in tomorrow and try to browse.

Just checked my Apple Music, and "All music" has since been replaced by "Library". I'm assuming this is the new "All music"? Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I can test.

I do have a question....

I bought a 2014 S-Line Ultra Black A6 last year. It came with two cables.

One AMI - Lightening cable, and one AMI - USB cable...

The AMI to lightening cable didn't charge, so I assumed it just didn't work (I didn't think to check the MMI)

But if I plug in a USB to lightening lead into the AMI - USB cable, it started to charge. Would this enable browsing Apple music via the MMI? Or does the cable have to be AMI - Lightening, with no cable in-between?

I'll test this myself tomorrow, but just thought I'd throw out the question incase anyone knows already...

Hope that makes sense :)

Cheers,

Hi, both questions are answered above, but for the record :

1. Via AMI cable (yellow collar in my case). Bluetooth works for playback, but of course you can't browse artists etc, you can only skip tracks (and get info). This is true for any music source on your mobile device though and a limitation of Bluetooth, not any streaming service.

2. Via the controls on the car. Because Apple Music is all integrated into one Music app, any albums, songs etc. you add to "my music" can be seen by the MMI, unlike other streaming services like Spotify,Tidal etc. Within Apple Music, you have the option to stream these "My Music" additions from the web, or download for offline playback...similar to how Spotify works. All music, whether online or offline does appear to show in MMI, which is great.
**Note : you cannot search the entire online Apple Music catalogue from MMI. Only artists, albums or tracks you have added to "My Music" **

I have yet to try this via the MMI Connect app (for those with the Connect option on their cars), but suspect this will work also. This would (should) give you the same features as with the AMI cable, but using wi-fi connection.

B

Update...

Just tested the AMI - USB cable and it's doesn't recognise anything in the MMI..

Does anyone know if there's an AMI cable that can play media and charge? Struggling to find one...