Brake dash warning at startup

READER84

Reaction score
Hi, i keep getting a BRAKES warning at start-up intermittently, its a 2005 2.0 tdi. Ive recently replaced the battery and the fault remains, any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
Have you checked your pads for wear? Recently had intermitant brake warning light on mine which turned out to be wear sensor wires were under strain pulling on connection which was putting up a fault

Have you checked your pads for wear? Recently had intermitant brake warning light on mine which turned out to be wear sensor wires were under strain pulling on connection which was putting up a fault
I replaced discs and pads all round less than a year ago, unless a wire is trapped somewhere somehow.

Mines been doing it on and off for a few months now. Handbrake light flashes and beeps and an ! Comes up on dis. Then goes away. Nothing faults on vagcom.

Some say they have the issue when car is cold but mine can come any time, also it seems to be when the engine takes slightly longer to fire up. The car is now on 72k and am tempted to strip the EGR and give it a clean to see if it helps start up and also makes it run smoother.